Anno 1404

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Really surprised by this find. Its an RTS with top notch graphics and from what I've seen the gameplay is pretty snazzy. Graphically its pretty demanding, though, so that'll limit the number of people able to play it. Definitely give the demo a go.

And for a great price too!

Having just played the demo I'll definitely be picking it up. There's also an expansion pack that looks pretty good. (and includes multiplayer functionality)

Sorry about all the links :p

Last edited:

Frijj

Harvester
Got the demo and i f'ing love this. Its just so much fun i will prob end up buying it.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
This has always been a phenomenal series, since the beginng and Anno 1404 will be no exception. <3

tomtree

Head Gardener
hmmm... runs a little too slowly on my laptop, so unfortunately im not going to get it. annoying because it looks pretty good.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Yep i bought it off of Play. I will play it more then buy the expansion.

They posted it yesterday, not here today :'(

I ordered something else the day before, still not here.

I remember the days when they used to deliver next day on must stuff I ordered, their delivery times have gone massively downhill recently, which is a shame because its an otherwise very good website.

"Please allow 3-5 days delivery"
gtfo :/

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Tbf DA you dont pay for delivery...

thats the reason i dont use play...im too impatient! I just buy off amazon and pay for first class/next day delivery! ;)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Mine has arrived, haven't had a chance to play it much but from what I have its sweet ^^

The campaign is basically a fairly complicated tutorial for the "Continuous Game" mode. Be careful, though, it is detailed but it does miss a few things out/isn't clear on some stuff.

You will run out of gold very quickly and go into the red if you don't sort your trade routes out well (something the game doesn't help you with very much (though the interface for doing so is very, very good when you know what it is you're doing))

Frijj

Harvester
Mine just came today i haven't played it yet either but just about to. Might just play Continuous Game all day seeing as it's so much fun/

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Mine just came today i haven't played it yet either but just about to. Might just play Continuous Game all day seeing as it's so much fun/

You could do, but I'd play through the entire campaign first though - There are quite a few things to pick up. You may well find yourself putting 12 hours into the continuous game, only to find out you've fluffed up loadsa stuff.

After playing the campaign I'm hoping to be able to get off to a good start on continuous mode :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I highly highly recommend playing the campaign first. Her are lots of important things to learn and it can save you some very very costly mistakes later on.

And forcas is an annoying *****, but his comeuppance is rewarding!

Anno 1404 was released in the USA under the title "Dawn of Discovery". Just thought I'd say that before anyone gets confused!

Last edited:

Frijj

Harvester
Gold is f'ing difficult to make. If you put up taxes your citizens can't upgrade and if you don't you get into negative gold which sucks. Then you set up so many damn trade routes you get confused :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I never, ever raise taxes above the optimal level for them to upgrade. The populace gets pissed, and leave and then you're in a lot of trouble.

I sell the most valuable items i can from my home warehouse to the roaming merchants (fleets of your trade partners etc). Have a few trade routes that always bring the main product to your main island, where everything is consolidated and used/sold. It's probably not as efficient as rotating resources as they are precisely needed throughout the islands, but that is a side effect of the deficient trade route system. However, the upside is that it at least leaves you able to keep the trade routes centralized so you know that finished products leave the main island, and raw materials come to the island.

Also, I keep building houses. They are the biggest single source of income you have in the game and making sure the population is happy is insanely important in this game, even on easy mode. More population = higher tax revenue, which is what we're after here. There is a lot of micromanagement of the industries you don't need to curb your spending; i generally turn off non vital industries when i must, or keep an eye on my stockpiles of goods and turn off industries I don't need. You really can't maintain a negative income for long, or **** hits the fan very quickly.

I also find it useful to never introduce a new good into my markets (read as my population) without having a substantial amount of it in reserve. For example, I will disable the population's access to Spices when I first get access to Spice, so that once I generate a reasonable stockpile (10-15 depending upon population/length of trade route round trip) I can then enable access and not worry about running out of the goods quickly. Anyways, I use that for all the other major goods that your population needs. Again, might not be the most efficient way, but it is cautious, and caution keeps you financially sound; reckless spending is punished very very quickly :p

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Good advice Alci.

Agreed forcas is a horrible, horrible character. I've actually found myself frowning at some of his comments. "I'M TRYING HERE, CUT ME SOME SLACK".

Money can be an arse to make. I'm still on the campaign atm, at one point I was in the red - That was before I got my trade routes sorted. Now on 50k+ gold.

From what I've seen so far rope is one of your best bets for making gold, so setting up a trade route with lots+lots of rope is a good idea (You don't really need rope for anything but ships, so you can run out without it causing many problems).

Looking forward to finishing the campaign and jumping onto continuous.

Question: Can you play this game without the DVD in the drive? It seems to work, but I don't want to borrow the game if its going to ask me for the disc at some random arse point.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Aye DA. Rope, weapons, leather jerkins and beer are some of my favourite exports. They are easy to mass produce and sell (some) your beer and jerkins since you need those for patricians but unless you have serious enemies you can sell pretty much all your rope and your weapons: non vital items with high payout.

The economy is tricky to balance, but keep at it, you'll get there eventually

Yes you can play the game without the cd, but I did this with a "no cd crack". So while not strictly legal I did buy the game legitimately so I don't feel badly about it all.