• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Visible Repeat Attack Counter

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I think it would be pretty handy if you could see the IDs you currently have a repeat attack counter on, so you don't accidentally hit them dishonourably.

I've seen a few people coming on IRC wondering why they lost honour on a target 70% of them only to find out it's because they hit them a few times in flak wars (which they've obviously forgotten about).

So there should be some way to make sure your attack is honourable when you send it, since you have no idea when an attack is a repeat attack or just a normal attack.

This could be something in the ID tooltip to the extent of "You currently have a repeat attack counter on this ID" or it could be a seperate page with all the IDs you currently have repeat attack counters on.

Thoughts?

MacMikey

Harvester
I've seen a few people coming on IRC wondering why they lost honour on a target 70% of them only to find out it's because they hit them a few times in flak wars (which they've obviously forgotten about).

Orly? :p
But as you would have expected I completely agree with you on this.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Orly? :p
But as you would have expected I completely agree with you on this.

Yes. It happened to me today, but I've also seen it in #bushtarion.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
lol i thought this the first time i did it, so now i always check in my targets spies to make sure i hadnt sent at them in the last 144 ticks. But definately would be nice to have an easier way to check.

MacMikey

Harvester
144 ticks aint enough. I got **** out of 70 honour because I sent at a target a couple of times during flak wars two weeks ago :s

antisback

Head Gardener
As i couldn't care less about h/f i'm going to do what toby does when an idea doesn't suit him - it's a crap idea, you're a retard, i hate you, it's probably best if you go jump off a cliff.

But seriously, i can see people waiting till the counter hits 0 and then hitting, the concept is you don't repeat attack at all if you want to be honourable go hit someone else

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
But seriously, i can see people waiting till the counter hits 0 and then hitting, the concept is you don't repeat attack at all if you want to be honourable go hit someone else

I think the point was more that if you've hit someone 2 weeks ago its unlikely you even know your about to do a repeat attack...its not really dishonourable if you hit them thinking its your first attack.

I guess its a possible concern that people will just wait until there is no longer a count but tbh, most people will hit them regardless if they are a good target.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
What about an alternative to a counter?

Instead of counting down, have a note that pops up in intel, id page or even tooltip that says something like: "you have hit this target in the last two weeks (or whatever the limit is) and will lose honour for repeat attacking"

So they dont know how long they have until they hit them, but are less likely to accidentally repeat attack. Problem solved Antisback ;)

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Instead of counting down, have a note that pops up in intel, id page or even tooltip that says something like: "you have hit this target in the last two weeks (or whatever the limit is) and will lose honour for repeat attacking"

So they dont know how long they have until they hit them, but are less likely to accidentally repeat attack. Problem solved Antisback ;)

Yeah i'd be for this, an actual number isn't needed IMO.

Steve_God

Official Helper

Yeah i'd be for this, an actual number isn't needed IMO.
Would be helpful - as it may be that often during flak wars you attack the same person 3 times, purely as it's the flak wars and they keep buying up with land and are an easy target.

No exact value definately as that would be abusable, but something on the hover-over, (or elsewhere maybe?) would work well :)

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
anything that promotes repeat attacking, no.

It does not promote repeat attacking. It does the complete opposite. If you don't know you've already hit someone then you don't know it's a repeat attack, so you are repeat attacking out of ignorance. The only thing this suggesting will do is to stop you from hitting targets you have recently hit, which can only be a good thing.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

It does not promote repeat attacking. It does the complete opposite. If you don't know you've already hit someone then you don't know it's a repeat attack, so you are repeat attacking out of ignorance. The only thing this suggesting will do is to stop you from hitting targets you have recently hit, which can only be a good thing.

and if someone hits the same id multiple times in flakwars and got a pretty high repeat counter on him, my opinion is that he has had his fair share of bashing from that individual.

but what i agree with is that it should be somewhere listed who you attacked and when, i think combatstats only lists the people who attacked you right now, not who you attacked, but further then listing it there i wouldnt go with helping h/f gatherers.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

and if someone hits the same id multiple times in flakwars and got a pretty high repeat counter on him, my opinion is that he has had his fair share of bashing from that individual.

but what i agree with is that it should be somewhere listed who you attacked and when, i think combatstats only lists the people who attacked you right now, not who you attacked, but further then listing it there i wouldnt go with helping h/f gatherers.

I think what you're failing to understand is that if you don't know you've already hit someone, there is no way you can know if it's a repeat attack or not. Every attack you go on is a gamble. It might be a repeat attack or it might not. You only know afterwards when you see you've lost 40 honour.

For example, me and Clem hit someone yesterday which we assumed would be an honourable attack. The target was 70% of both of us and there were 3 defenders. The total defending score was something like 150% of our combined score, not including the 3% alliance score added on. So we stayed thinking we would at least get decent bounty and honour. Wrong. It turns out we hit this guy a few times in flak wars, the last time on the 14th of March. That's two weeks ago. And we both lose like 40 honour for it.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I think what you're failing to understand is that if you don't know you've already hit someone, there is no way you can know if it's a repeat attack or not. Every attack you go on is a gamble. It might be a repeat attack or it might not. You only know afterwards when you see you've lost 40 honour.

For example, me and Clem hit someone yesterday which we assumed would be an honourable attack. The target was 70% of both of us and there were 3 defenders. The total defending score was something like 150% of our combined score, not including the 3% alliance score added on. So we stayed thinking we would at least get decent bounty and honour. Wrong. It turns out we hit this guy a few times in flak wars, the last time on the 14th of March. That's two weeks ago. And we both lose like 40 honour for it.

yeah so that should be listed on the combatstat page