Bushtarion Server down

Changer

Head Gardener
i dont see why its so hard for azzer to give a cash bonus to the same value of troops they lost on that tic, minus insurance. whats fairer, doing that, or having the server kick back in straight away with 3 minutes to go before EOT?

What if said person was offline at the time and would have lost their staff regardless. Anyone can claim to have been only and claim that they need reimbursing for losses. For this reason and other mentioned, theres no way that it can happen.

Bruce666

Harvester
this is a massive loss for the game this is wrong to have this happen i feel sorry for those that lost their troops and from what ive seen today this game will be lucky if it lasts ONE more round

fRe3kiLL

Pruner
What ever happened, happened. Tough s**t!!!

These things are unpredictable, and even uncontrollable, and it is in no way Azzer's fault.
He doesn't NEED to do anything to compensate for losses or anything of the like. The server was fine, the switches weren't. SUCKS, but nothing can be done about it, and it was fixed as fast as possible.

YES, maybe there should have been a total recall of all mobs as soon as server had connection failure, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

With problems like these there is often nothing that can be done, just move on and continue playing. I the specific region or country suddenly lost connection for couple of hours, and you were unable to recall mobs, would you go ask them to compensate you for losses? NO

Complaining or moaning about this isn't going to help at all, be freaking constructive and make GOOD suggestions for FUTURE use. This is over and done.

NOW play the damn game!!!
Thx :p

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Server downtimes can and do happen. They're very rare, but unexpected internet outages can happen. In this case it was due to a double-failing of switches in the data-centre (one failed switch, then a replacement switch immediately failing, and some head-scratching to figure it out before a 3rd switch was tried).

As per the user agreement everyone accepts when they sign up, I cannot guarantee 100% uptime for everyone because unexpected things on the internet and around the world like this can happen. You can get DDOS attacks that cut a website off for hours at a time, lightning strikes in the wrong place that fry networks or power generators, earthquakes, terrorist attacks, and the most common natural disaster, a server technician (they seem capable of causing far more damage than any of the other things when the mood suits them).

Server outages, just like user accounts that get deleted, cannot have a fair system of "compensation". Because "compensation" for one person, is different to another person;

* Somebody who's attacks were out and were about to steal huge amounts of land, will not want their uber attack recalled the moment the server comes back up. I've tried a "mass recall" of mobs once a few years back, and the amount of moaning on the forums from people saying it was unfair that this or that attack/defence of theirs got recalled and they might not get the chance to do it again was incredible.
* Somebody who's being attacked and sees the downtime as the perfect opportunity to escape the doom they just faced will go on and on and on about how everything should be recalled and frozen and how it would be perfectly fair, or somebody who's attack had failed.
* Some people will get stuck because they wanted to recall their attack, couldn't make it online when the server came back up because the duration was unknown and unexpected, and unfortunately things didn't go well.
* Some people will be glad their mobs didn't get recalled without their say so simply because of unexpected downtime.

There is no "fair" system that will make everyone happy. In the past I have experimented with delayed tick starts (that got moans from people saying it was giving defenders lots of time to organise defence on their incomings before ticks started up again) and mass recalls (that got lots of moans as per above). Not doing anything at all equally gets moans, but at least not doing anything at all doesn't seem like I'm specificically and intentionally trying to benefit one set of people over another, and matches what happens when an account gets deleted (I don't try compensating every victim of a cheater when somebody gets deleted for cheating because, as per a long discussion on another thread some time ago, it's impossible to truly know what knock-on effects happen because of something occurring).

So yes, it's impossible to know what impact a server downtime really has on every single individual case, you can only really take people for their individual words of "I lost this because of it and totally would have been 1000 land and 1 billion troops better off if it never happened therefore you owe me 1000 land and 1 billion troops!", I've tried both delayed tick restarts and mob recalls on server downtimes in the past and got just as many if not more gripe threads on the subject of what a stupid decision I had made to mass recall/delay tick starts, and the short of it is the user agreement does state that I cannot guarantee 100% uptime nor can any server in the world.

All I can do is apologise for the downtime as ever, state that these things can and do happen in the world of the internet, and it can be seen as an unexpected "Natural disaster" - and when a "natural disaster" with nobody to blame occurs people should pool together, grit their teeth, and get on with lives as best they can, not start screaming at God for flooding their house :p

fRe3kiLL

Pruner
Thx Azzer

I totally agree with the above, and feel this matter is resolved. Hope the rest agrees with this.

Life SUCKS, move on :p

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Anyone that infers that Azzer doesn't care about his job, business, and sole source of income is just plain ignorant. :(
show me how he has cared about what happened yesterday
go on, show me
You want him to send flowers and a card?

Rofl :'D
Yes please.

this is a massive loss for the game this is wrong to have this happen i feel sorry for those that lost their troops and from what ive seen today this game will be lucky if it lasts ONE more round
Sweet, one last round of watching this kind of whining on forums then.
Seriously Bruce, I can perfectly understand people are damn frustrated and have the need to ventilate their anger at first, I'm sure if it were me, there would be an anger filled post on here as well, but you, Sir, are taking the concept of whining to an unprecedently high level. It's time to get on with your life, my young padawan...

terrorist attacks
Terrorist attacks on the bushtarion server? :O
How about T-rex attacks? Ninja attacks? Hippy van attacks? o_0

Ezekiel

Harvester
Thx Azzer

I totally agree with the above, and feel this matter is resolved. Hope the rest agrees with this.

Life SUCKS, move on :p

Rofl, I'd love something like this to happen to you so we could see your reaction then.

Sorry, wOuLd iT h3lP iF I TyPeD lIke ThIs?????

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
You are noobs compared to me. You can only see things in one way, tunnelvisioners. It take you 1year to learn things that I learn in 1hour. It takes you 2years to accomplish something that I can do in one week. Not my problem how you deal with stuff or comments, its your own. Maybe its time for you to open ur eyes.

:D

doctorsinsila

Digger
As has already been said, he has no way of doing this fairly.
What i someone wasnt online, and would have died regardless...

well i still can't imagine how could you kill me when i was online.. as we all know i was returning from defending and than server crashed, i couldn't sit all 4hours(or smth like that) and refresh every minute to see if i'm still alive.

lets be honest u would never get me with such pathetic attack w/o that crash.. and land is easy to get back.

Changer

Head Gardener
well i still can't imagine how could you kill me when i was online.. as we all know i was returning from defending and than server crashed, i couldn't sit all 4hours(or smth like that) and refresh every minute to see if i'm still alive.

lets be honest u would never get me with such pathetic attack w/o that crash.. and land is easy to get back.

I never said it was in regard to you...

Max

Garden Designer
Azzer hit the nail on the head really (to use a broken old and frankly rather dilapidated cliche) when he said this course of action receives the fewest gripes.

It's so predicatble as well. For example, last year when Britain received its worst snowfall in 30 odd years, the response from the newspapers was "WHY WASN'T BRITAIN PREPARED!!!" And the answer was obvious. It would be stupid to keep those levels of grit in the council storage space and unecessary, considering it would only be needed once every 20-30 years.

Obviously those most hurt are those who feel most owed to compensation. I can sympathise with their effort, especially as there's nobody to blame. But there's always some way to have fun in the game I can assure you xD