Beginners Luck

Osmond

Digger
Was just wondering if there is a specific number of ticks you have to have been online in order to start qualifying (or more important to me, not qualifying) for the beginner's luck award?

That is, if I signed up for an account at the very end of last round (i didn't even complete the tutorial) and then played the whole of the round that just ended, have I made myself ineligible for this award?

From what I can see, the Seasoned/Veteran Player award requires you to be online for 36+ticks so if a last minute registration does not count towards them it would seem only fair it not be counted for the Beginner's Luck award.

A petty question perhaps, but it is literally a gold star. What could be a more fitting award for a n00b?!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
a fair point. I know i missed out cause my first round i didnt play at all (dont acutally know how long the id existed), but it was annnoying to find out id missed out, cause i finished like 46 the next round i did play.

Have never beaten it lol

but i dont acutally know if there is a time requirement...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
it only says being rank 100 in any rank type. presumably written when there were multiple rank types (other than valuation ofc). I would assume that it simply requires you to have an ID when the round finishes with a rank of 100 or less for valuation but I could be wrong.

Osmond

Digger
Ah well it seems I have actually been awarded it afterall. It was not my "first ever round" as the wiki page says it has to be but it was the first round I was active for more than a few ticks so I guess there is some kind of time restriction in place...

Sorry to hear it never worked for you timtadams!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Ah well it seems I have actually been awarded it afterall. It was not my "first ever round" as the wiki page says it has to be but it was the first round I was active for more than a few ticks so I guess there is some kind of time restriction in place...

I was just checking out portal and profiles and all that, and noticed how long my first ID existed:
15hrs 22min and 24 seconds:

The ID was created on: Sun 29th Jun, 2008. 14:27:49
The ID was deleted on: Thu 14th Aug, 2008. 05:50:13
The ID was deleted because: 45 days inactive

OK, obviously i wasnt online for all of those, probably a couple of hours for two days, if that.

So im guessing it depends on how long your ID existed for, not how many ticks you spent online (or how active you were), just like how the player status user awards work.

TaO

Tree Surgeon

The ID was deleted because: 45 days inactive

Your ID never gained a portal spot.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Your ID never gained a portal spot.

We were talking about how the user award is determined, so how active you have to be/how long your ID existed for/whatever before it counts as your 'first round'

TaO

Tree Surgeon
Beginners Luck 15 Newcomer (first ever round) gaining top 100 in any rank type

Nothing tells you for how long it must existed or whatsoever.
Plus wouldnt it be strange if you had to have your account for over x amount of ticks

I mean, first round ever, so how would you be able to know when round starts / ends??

Osmond

Digger
Plus wouldnt it be strange if you had to have your account for over x amount of tick

I mean, first round ever, so how would you be able to know when round starts / ends??

Well that's exactly why I think there should be a minimum time limit (if there isn't already).

As you say, when you register an account for the first time you have no idea at what point in the round you are joining, and could very well (as was my case) spend an hour or two farting around with the tutorial and then have the ID deleted because of round end. It seems unfair to me that such a person should have ruled themselves out of the award.

We are only talking a very small ammount of time that an account would be required to exist before their efforts count toward the award. I was originally thinking the 36+ ticks you need to start counting towards the Seasoned and Veteran Player. If no limit exists you could find your account too "young" to help you on your way to those two awards, and at the same time without a hope in hell of achieving the Beginner's Luck award. Is it right that this should be the case?

I don't see any adverse effect of having a limit - it would be very impressive indeed if a completely new player managed to portal with under six hour's play, so i doubt it would prevent anyone from gaining it who otherwise would have, it would only stop people from accidently making themselves ineligible.

This is starting to sound like a suggestion, but my original purpose for posting (and I think the same probably goes for timtadams?) was to try and work out if any of the systems we have talked about are in place, and if so which one?

TaO

Tree Surgeon
Plus wouldnt it be strange if you had to have your account for over x amount of tick

Well that's exactly why I think there should be a minimum time limit (if there isn't already).

As you say, when you register an account for the first time you have no idea at what point in the round you are joining, and could very well (as was my case) spend an hour or two farting around with the tutorial and then have the ID deleted because of round end. It seems unfair to me that such a person should have ruled themselves out of the award.

We are only talking a very small ammount of time that an account would be required to exist before their efforts count toward the award. I was originally thinking the 36+ ticks you need to start counting towards the Seasoned and Veteran Player. If no limit exists you could find your account too "young" to help you on your way to those two awards, and at the same time without a hope in hell of achieving the Beginner's Luck award. Is it right that this should be the case?

I don't see any adverse effect of having a limit - it would be very impressive indeed if a completely new player managed to portal with under six hour's play, so i doubt it would prevent anyone from gaining it who otherwise would have, it would only stop people from accidently making themselves ineligible.

This is starting to sound like a suggestion, but my original purpose for posting (and I think the same probably goes for timtadams?) was to try and work out if any of the systems we have talked about are in place, and if so which one?

Its no matter of how many ticks / hours / days you spend on the round. As long you finish top 100 at any type of rank.

If i remember correctly Azzer was already planning on changing this award so that the older players also are able to get it.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Its no matter of how many ticks / hours / days you spend on the round.

Yes it is. Thats the point i was making. My ID existed for 46-47 days, therefore it counted as my first round.

However, Osmond's first ID only existed a much smaller amount of time, hence it didnt count as his first round, and so he got the award the next round he did play properly.

So there is a minimum time limit which is good. I just think it would be nice for it to be clarified.

Osmond

Digger

Its no matter of how many ticks / hours / days you spend on the round. As long you finish top 100 at any type of rank.

If i remember correctly Azzer was already planning on changing this award so that the older players also are able to get it.

Okay. But is there a chance that maybe he has tampered with it slightly since that was written on the wiki page (i spent the summer teaching myself how to play from that site, there are definately some things that are a bit out of date)?

This was my first round:

The ID was created on: Thu 23rd Jul, 2009. 08:46:48
The ID was deleted on: Thu 23rd Jul, 2009. 18:05:02
The ID was deleted because: Round End

I did not get the beginner's luck award because, obviously, I didn't get anywhere near top 100.

If what the wiki page says is true, that should have been the end of it - no award for Osmond unless Azzer makes the change you mention.

However, this time I played a full round and did portal, and after havoc was awarded the Beginner's Luck award. This suggests to me that there actually is some sort of time limit in place.

Sorry to go on about this, it's really not that important, I just wanted to clarify what I believe everything that has been said in this thread adds up to.

TaO

Tree Surgeon
Details for World 1, Round 31 - Osmond [7789]:
Game Mode: Standard

Score: 32,069,924 [Final Rank: 1056] (Highest score held: 31,864,046. Highest rank held: 1056 for 2 ticks)
Acres: 690 [Highest Held: 690]
Final Tag: Solo
Effectiveness: 0 [Final Rank: 1202]
Bounty Hunting: 0 [Final Rank: 1161]

The ID was created on: Thu 23rd Jul, 2009. 08:46:48
The ID was deleted on: Thu 23rd Jul, 2009. 18:05:02
The ID was deleted because: Round End

This was the havoc day, and thus the round had already ended officially..
All awards are based on the full 76 days of the official round.
Havoc has no impact / influence at any awards.

The next round you did play in between those 76 days, and you did get the award :)

Hover over the award, you have been awarded at Oct 16th. Which was the day after havoc of round 32.

Osmond

Digger
This was the havoc day, and thus the round had already ended officially..

Ahh, that is a very good point - my ID was officially around for a lot less time than the stats suggest because havoc would have kicked in. Maybe that does have something to do with it.

I did definately play some of the real round though - I planted and grew my way to the lofty heights of 690 acres as you can see lol...