Need Help Deciding.

Davis

Tree Surgeon
So for college I have been required to get a Mac of some sort for my Digital Art and Graphics Design major, and originally I had my mind set on a Macbook Pro 17 inch. But recently my parents asked me if I think it would be better to get the iMac 27 Inch.

The reason I initially and still sort of sway towards the Macbook Pro is due to the portability. But my prarents posed the question, why do you need it to be so portable, (it is meant to be a school computer) are you going to need it at school where they have 27 in. iMacs all over the place to hop on? Or do you want it so when you go to your friends you can play. (I have my phone with internet to do that with).

So people with laptops (not just macs but any laptop) is it worth the size, and spec cost for a portable computer that really wont be taken very many places. the only real need i could see for it is english classes, since i hate hand writing notes.

here are the specs

iMac - $1,999.00
# 27 Inches
# 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 1TB Serial ATA Drive
# ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
# 8x double-layer SuperDrive
# Apple Magic Mouse <--- This thing looks bad ass
# Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide

Macbook Pro - $2,499.00
# 17 Inches
# 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
# 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Steve_God

Official Helper
I've got a six year old laptop that I still use, and it's possibly one of the most heaviest laptops I've ever come across! But as a portable computer, it does the job for the rare occasions that I take it outside of home, and the extra weight really makes little difference after you've stuck it in a bag or laptop case :)

Just make sure you find a laptop case first that nicely fits in a 27" screen :p

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
So for college I have been required to get a Mac of some sort for my Digital Art and Graphics Design major, and originally I had my mind set on a Macbook Pro 17 inch. But recently my parents asked me if I think it would be better to get the iMac 27 Inch.

The reason I initially and still sort of sway towards the Macbook Pro is due to the portability. But my prarents posed the question, why do you need it to be so portable, (it is meant to be a school computer) are you going to need it at school where they have 27 in. iMacs all over the place to hop on? Or do you want it so when you go to your friends you can play. (I have my phone with internet to do that with).

So people with laptops (not just macs but any laptop) is it worth the size, and spec cost for a portable computer that really wont be taken very many places. the only real need i could see for it is english classes, since i hate hand writing notes.

here are the specs

iMac - $1,999.00
# 27 Inches
# 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 1TB Serial ATA Drive
# ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
# 8x double-layer SuperDrive
# Apple Magic Mouse <--- This thing looks bad ass
# Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide

Macbook Pro - $2,499.00
# 17 Inches
# 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
# 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

iMac. Sold.

Davis

Tree Surgeon
I've got a six year old laptop that I still use, and it's possibly one of the most heaviest laptops I've ever come across! But as a portable computer, it does the job for the rare occasions that I take it outside of home, and the extra weight really makes little difference after you've stuck it in a bag or laptop case :)

Just make sure you find a laptop case first that nicely fits in a 27" screen :p

the 27" in the iMac (its not a laptop)

Tombi

Harvester
Depends, If you want portability definately go for the Macbook but if you want Power go towards the iMac, aslong as you have a decent amount of ram (which both do) and a good processor (which both do to) you cant really go that wrong, although if you have the money get the best processor available and more Ram so running Graphics applications and Music thingys will be a much nicer experience :p

WackyJacky

Head Gardener
I've got a (15?) in MBP.
Snow Leopard and such.
4 GB of Rams
2.8 GHz
etc.

It works great. I take it to school every now and then, it's not that heavy but I usually stick it in my sports bag and it barely fits. They have nice cases for them (I have a hard shell on the computer and a carrying case) but they are a rip off ($50 for the hard shell)
I'm used to the laptop screen size so I don't mind it not being as big as a desktop, but it's personal preference really. It's nice being able to take my computer to friends when I stay over and such.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Not looking at specs at all (as i know very little) i'd always go for the laptop. Ive had a laptop for the past 6 years or so and i love it. It barely leaves my room but on the odd occasion i might want to show my housemate something i can just take it downstairs...even simpler its just far less hassle to set up and organise desk space etc.

Like i said, i'd go with the laptop if the specs are roughly the same...even if you wont be moving it around to much there will be that time oneday when you're going somewhere for the weekend (family visit or something maybe) and you wish you could take your computer with you.

As i said...im purely going on the laptop vs big clunky fixed doofa argument...not on specs. ;)

Madmeater

Harvester
Not looking at specs at all (as i know very little) i'd always go for the laptop. Ive had a laptop for the past 6 years or so and i love it. It barely leaves my room but on the odd occasion i might want to show my housemate something i can just take it downstairs...even simpler its just far less hassle to set up and organise desk space etc.

Like i said, i'd go with the laptop if the specs are roughly the same...even if you wont be moving it around to much there will be that time oneday when you're going somewhere for the weekend (family visit or something maybe) and you wish you could take your computer with you.

As i said...im purely going on the laptop vs big clunky fixed doofa argument...not on specs. ;)

Desktop > laptop!
but looking at the specs to the prices, looks like the imac gives you more bang for your buck, but thats probably just me being jewish

Podunk

Head Gardener
I would get the laptop. There is no reason why you need a more powerful mac system since you can't really game on them anyways. Might as well have it be portable right?

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
As others have said - laptop for the portability. I have a desktop and a laptop, my desktop rarely gets used unless I'm listening to music in my room or gaming. My laptop gets used all the time for anything else as I can use it in bed, in the lounge, in housemates' rooms, on campus, etc. Being able to move it, even just around the house, is so convenient.