Gobama!!

Greenfinger

Planter
I think that its great that they chose him. Becouse Ahtisaari got it last year.
And now, for this cae. I think the words make a bigger diff than the action, Believe in da woords. The world is hoping for a better place =)

penguin

Official Helper
I didn't read the article and I personally don't have to [a co-worker and I talk about politics enough] I really don't care about the nobel peace prize or crap like that, which doesn't really matter in today's economy and blah blah blah..
but As far as words going much further than action, I think this is a$s-backwards IMO. Actions speak FAR more words than any words will ever. Period.
-I.E. - action to do something [I really didn't care. I voted McCain] that hasn't been done, which is a hypocrite to me.. and one year is up. One more year and majority of the U.S.' problems should be fixed.. according to Obama. And take a look at all he's done.. spend TRILLIONS of dollars, and for what? where are we now.
Point: He's just a public speaker who used a card to get into office.

which pisses a lot of people I know off -[including me]-

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
-I.E. - action to do something [I really didn't care. I voted McCain] that hasn't been done, which is a hypocrite to me.. and one year is up. One more year and majority of the U.S.' problems should be fixed.. according to Obama. And take a look at all he's done.. spend TRILLIONS of dollars, and for what? where are we now.

which pisses a lot of people I know off -[including me]-

It's funny how the conservatives complain about reckless spending for programs for the poor and other initiatives to help out our own people, but they are all for spending trillions on global war efforts. I also find it really funny how they are so concerned with the government minding it's own business and basically telling everyone to fend for themselves, but aren't these the same people who are generally Christian, and aren't Christians supposed to help out people in need? I just don't understand.

Anyway, back to the real point. Obama doesn't really deserve the award. He's not really done anything in the way of international peace, but it isn't uncommon, apparently, for the Nobel committee to hand this award out for "future" good. Overall the award is a crock of ...

Charlie_B

Harvester
I think awarding the prize to Obama was a poor decision. He's done a lot to improve America's international standing and make the country seem like a halfway credible moral authority on international issues, but on the other hand after the abysmal Bush rule anyone would have looked good in comparison.

Clearly, his current achievements/actions - whilst encouraging - in no way merit any prestigious peace prize. However, that's not why it was awarded. Unfortunately, while I can see the logic of the award I don't think it's been fully thought through.

At the end of the day, noone who matters is going to be impressed. It's going to do nothing to help Obama negotiate with terrorists or anti-establishment states like North Korea. On the contrary, it will probably make the role harder; there's even more pressure on him to succeed, and if anything i think that in the eyes of his detractors the endorsement adds to his aura of publicity and PR rather than the pragmatism which gets deals done.

At the end of the day, the Nobel prize is highly politicized and often overlooks less famous but arguably more deserving people in favour of controversial, big name decisions. After all, with Nobel long dead in the ground what would be the point of the Nobel prizes if noone talked about them?

Perhaps they've outsmarted us all. Perhaps their only intention is to get more people thinking, and talking, more about world peace. They've certainly managed that.

Penguin said:
As far as words going much further than action, I think this is a$s-backwards IMO. Actions speak FAR more words than any words will ever. Period.

Noone is disagreeing with you. I don't know where you've pulled that line from, but it wasn't from anyone posting in this thread and it certainly wasn't from the Nobel committee.

Obama didn't get the award because his words are more important than other people's actions, but because the committee wanted to show their support and encouragement for the direction he is taking.

One more year and majority of the U.S.' problems should be fixed.. according to Obama.

I'd love to see a quote for that, as frankly I'm surprised anyone would even suggest he'd made such a ludicrous claim.

Oh? What 'card' was that then?

Lafin said:
...but it isn't uncommon, apparently, for the Nobel committee to hand this award out for "future" good.

I can't think of any examples (I can't even think of nominees who fall under that category, never mind winners), and I seem to recall the Committee going out of their way to explain the reasons for their unique decision to do so this time. In fact, that's the whole point - it isn't common, which is why the decision was such a surprise.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
I can't think of any examples (I can't even think of nominees who fall under that category, never mind winners), and I seem to recall the Committee going out of their way to explain the reasons for their unique decision to do so this time. In fact, that's the whole point - it isn't common, which is why the decision was such a surprise.

So true...

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
Charlie_B expressed similar opinions to my own, very eloquently too. It is saddening that the Nobel prize committee are besmirching the NPP even further. I thought it couldn't get worse than Al Gore, I was wrong.

penguin

Official Helper
'I think the words make a bigger diff than the action, Believe in da woords.'
that's where I got the a$s-backwards comment - and I know no one was arguing against me on it, just a my opinion about something.

And Obama at one of his speeches said change will come blah blah blah [that's when I changed the channel] and I heard through the grapevine on that.

And the card he used.. the 'I'm african-american' combined with 'We need change' kind of puts different things into different people's heads.
Statistics show that EVERY other african-american who voted on election day that normally doesn't vote on ANYTHING, voted. - yes, it's a free country, but -.- shouldn't have happened that way.

But none-the-less, undeserved. points were said already.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I'd have said, personally, he doesn't deserve the prize. In my eyes the award was given based on what he has said he is going to do - Generally you have to deliver on things to be considered for a prize of any kind :p

I think the problem a lot of people are having here is that the universally accepted definition of peace is very, very different to the criteria used to judge who should be considered.

Connotations of peace, for me, incredibly enough, is "no war". Obama is talking about about massively boosting the US's presence in Afghanistan in the not too distant future - contradiction much?

People will throw back, well, we need this war to counter terrorism and stop attacks in our native countries. Well I for one am of the opinion this is bollocks. Allied forces could gain 100% control of Afghanistan tomorrow, that wouldn't stop religious extremists trying to board planes. The war is a waste of time, the man with the power to end it getting one of the worlds most prestigious awards for peace is fairly laughable IMO. As for Obama apparently wanting a world where nuclear weapons don't exist, I'm again incredulous of this. I'm pro disarmament, but the US is very vocal about its position to stop certain countries having access to nuclear weaponary when she herself has thousands of warheads. I've never got that. "Lets all disarm. You first"

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Charlie_B expressed similar opinions to my own, very eloquently too. It is saddening that the Nobel prize committee are besmirching the NPP even further. I thought it couldn't get worse than Al Gore, I was wrong.

Absolutely. Well said Charlie_B