Immobile Alliance troops are useless

xvi

Harvester
the only alliances that buy them are ones that are so far ahead they dont need them. fail.

alliance hqs need more govt protection.

why can't we send troops from our hq directly to defend an ally mate's lands. do they have to go home and check in with their mommies first? rofl

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Alliance troops in general are pretty useless at the moment. Not totally, but pretty close. Immobile units especially.

You can send HQ troops to defend an ally mate directly, assuming you have the privilege. I don't understand your point about checking with their 'mommies' first.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
He means if you send your troops to the HQ then you have to wait for them to return to your base before you can send them out again. Personally I think it works fine as it is. There should be downsides to sending troops to HQ.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Hmm, i thought he might have meant you should be able to send your units to the HQ, and then use them to defend other allymates; which would be a horrifically abuseable feature.

And if you send units to the HQ, then as you say, there have to be downsides. The whole 'waiting for them to return' is a vital part of the whole combat system, if you could just auto return them i feel like it'd be abused. Also, not that i like to use the real life analogies, but since you started with them: if you send out a combat unit it takes awhile for them to travel to their destination, then they fight, and it takes awhile for them to return. We have not yet managed to create teleportation devices.

I think HQ Units are flawed, but mostly by their lack of imagination and minimal use; not because the mechanism is broken. Although there are several flaws with HQ units related to mechanisms, being lack of Eff/Bounty/Insurance (not sure about that last one but iirc you don't get insurance from HQ unit kills).

xvi

Harvester
He means if you send your troops to the HQ then you have to wait for them to return to your base before you can send them out again. Personally I think it works fine as it is. There should be downsides to sending troops to HQ.

i dont see the benefit of sending your troops to hq when alliance troops are useless to help protect them, hence my point :s
spy some allys and see if anyone is sending them to hq

xvi

Harvester
Hmm, i thought he might have meant you should be able to send your units to the HQ, and then use them to defend other allymates; which would be a horrifically abuseable feature.

And if you send units to the HQ, then as you say, there have to be downsides. The whole 'waiting for them to return' is a vital part of the whole combat system, if you could just auto return them i feel like it'd be abused. Also, not that i like to use the real life analogies, but since you started with them: if you send out a combat unit it takes awhile for them to travel to their destination, then they fight, and it takes awhile for them to return. We have not yet managed to create teleportation devices.

I think HQ Units are flawed, but mostly by their lack of imagination and minimal use; not because the mechanism is broken. Although there are several flaws with HQ units related to mechanisms, being lack of Eff/Bounty/Insurance (not sure about that last one but iirc you don't get insurance from HQ unit kills).

in real life, if my troops were at hq and i wanted to send them to defend a mate, i'd pick up a telephone and call them to tell them to do it. We have cybernetic warriors and no telephones. :s

Bahnsen

Planter

in real life, if my troops were at hq and i wanted to send them to defend a mate, i'd pick up a telephone and call them to tell them to do it. We have cybernetic warriors and no telephones. :s

This post made me lol. Great call

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

i dont see the benefit of sending your troops to hq when alliance troops are useless to help protect them, hence my point :s
spy some allys and see if anyone is sending them to hq

In fact some people actually did send to HQ last round (Discworld). But toby tends to kill people who do that. :(

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Last I checked Azzer was looking at completely overhauling the alliance HQ setup - this is still on the cards as far as I know.