Positive Rep

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Does rep for threads/posts that have been 'deleted' or removed still count towards your positive rep count?

For example if i have 10 pos rep points, and someone gives me one more rep 'point' for a (mildly) inflammatory post, and the post then gets deleted, do i remain at 11 'points' or is it reduced down to 10 again?

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Reputation only counts for posts visible to the public. If, in your scenario, you were given reputation for a post that was then removed, you would also lose the reputation given for that post.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
i'm actually more upset over not being able to see the posts i've been repped for, rather than the rep itself. :( There are like 5 repped posts i can't read due to Mods being overly sentimental knobs.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
..? Which posts, and why are all Mods suddenly "overly sentimental knobs"?

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
How dare you! I'll have you know I throw away anything that could ever be related to my past! :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
wow you guys need to chill out lol. i can only assume it was mods who deleted my posts since no one else has the power. Call me crazy, but that's pure logic right there. and since you appear to disagree with some of my posts, i must say i'm disappointed i can't see the posts to which i was awarded rep. One might arguably think i wouldn't have to explain that but some people's children.....

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Not necessarily. It might be a very good post in a bad thread. So the thread gets deleted and the good post is lost, as is the positive rep.

Personally I don't see it as a big deal, but Alci obviously does.

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Not necessarily. It might be a very good post in a bad thread. So the thread gets deleted and the good post is lost, as is the positive rep.

I don't think mods on this forum delete entire threads, so it must be about certain deleted posts.
Even though I agree with Alci that it sucks (have one of those myself, and wanted to laugh at it again, but couldn't find it :(), it's not really a big issue, and I think forumtechnically it's impossible to keep links for normal users to deleted posts.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
If you can still see rep on your profile for posts that you can't access or you can't find, the post/thread will have been moved to the archives - a 'private' forum, viewable only to staff. It won't have been deleted, just moved for reference, and in most cases it will have been moved by Azzer.

If you absolutely desperately have a burning desire to find out why people "+1'd" you again then PM me the thread title, link if possible and any other details and I'll see what I can find out.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

I don't think mods on this forum delete entire threads, so it must be about certain deleted posts.
Even though I agree with Alci that it sucks (have one of those myself, and wanted to laugh at it again, but couldn't find it :(), it's not really a big issue, and I think forumtechnically it's impossible to keep links for normal users to deleted posts.

Threads do get deleted (or moved to the invisible bit). The most recent example being Azzer's thread "The Vocal Minority".

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
lol i didn't intend to start such an argument, i just like some of the posts i've written, and since i don't keep a copy of everything i write (more's the pity) i just like to re read some of my rants or whatnot. It's purely personal and if someone has repped me for something, i like to be able to remember/see what it was i wrote. No need to fuss about :D

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If the posts remain, then as Weeble says this is me not the mods. I use the archives for threads I want to keep around for reference (usually with any current/ongoing issues or things I want to save long term such as creator's-day forum threads) but just want to clear from the forums for tidyness sake.

If it's a "standard mod deletion" (and thus not Azzer being "a sentimental knob" as Alci puts it and utilising the archives), then as far as I know the rep should disappear.

ofc I could always "remove" (unapprove) threads I move to the archives - which would achieve nothing other than "fixing reps" (removing them)... but obviously it's not something I imagined anyone would really care about (especially since it's a choice between having positive rep and not knowing why, or not having it at all... I'd have thought not having it at all would be the worse option).

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
My Reputation screen said:
N/A 03-03-2009 12:10 PM f0xx You are being too rude to the little newbie, but I approve
This is definitely a deleted post (thread title: N/A, got a warning for the post as well :(), yet the reputation remains. :O

Ahead

Head Gardener
You shouldn't be aiming for rep points, infraction point competitions is where its at :p