Repeat attacking

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Why?
Hasn't happened to me in a few rounds, but spying around and seeing the same person hitting the same target multiple times, just gets me wondering whether these attackers don't see themselves how ridiculously lame that is?
And for some weird reason, it's most of the time the same person who catches my attention doing it (but there are others). Good job. Pretty sure you know who you are, seeing as I messaged you about it last round.

/end gripe.

Max

Garden Designer
Another reason why I lament the loss of L/F.

Back in the day, if you did a repeat attack you got a lot of negative law. There was nothing in the game to STOP you from attacking the same target over and over again, but if you did then you became more vulnerable to bounty hunting :)

Now, I expect a lot of solo POMs are wondering why there's nothing they can do to stop themselves being flakked over and over again and again :(

IceOfFire

Garden Designer
This gripe has been done so many times before and will it will never stop without l/f being bought in.

The only advice that can be given is, get a better route set up that stops mass rapage.

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
Why?
Hasn't happened to me in a few rounds, but spying around and seeing the same person hitting the same target multiple times, just gets me wondering whether these attackers don't see themselves how ridiculously lame that is?
And for some weird reason, it's most of the time the same person who catches my attention doing it (but there are others). Good job. Pretty sure you know who you are, seeing as I messaged you about it last round.

/end gripe.

kids in glass houses...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
If i have an easy target, i'm going to keep hitting it til it's out of range.

This is the case in all my rounds, but especially this round when i have puppets and easily bribable targets.

Lots of repeat attacking stems from people being lazy, and targets being easy, and there being absolutely no real repercussions for repeat attacking.

As people have already posted, L/F and the FC should be able to bring this back under control.

IceOfFire

Garden Designer
If i have an easy target, i'm going to keep hitting it til it's out of range.

This is the case in all my rounds, but especially this round when i have puppets and easily bribable targets.

Lots of repeat attacking stems from people being lazy, and targets being easy, and there being absolutely no real repercussions for repeat attacking.

As people have already posted, L/F and the FC should be able to bring this back under control.

BANG on the money in everything he says

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
I dislike repeat attacks, however I don't have a problem with people doing them. The pure and simple fact is the game allows it, so why shouldn't they?

Now do I think the game should do something to heavily discourage it? hell yes.

L/F FTW

CFalcon

Official Helper
Has everyone got amnesia? Am I honestly the only person who remembers l/f??

It did bugger all to stop repeat attacking. You lose some law for the repeat attack, but then you make it up again very easily in defence.

No-one gave a damn about it. Find a good target for bribes? Repeat attack it as much as possible, the law penalty is very minor and could be removed with a little defensive work.

Very nearly everyone outside the top 2 alliances had green titles, and those that didn't were usually the ones TRYING to get a red title on purpose.

The ONLY thing law did was to put fat bounty on the winning players, because the only way you could get sufficient negative law was by attacking at the very minimum of your range for weeks and weeks, without having any defending to do to bring it back into the green.

But of course we all have starry eyed nostalgic memories of good 'ol l/f and how it saved bushtarion. I hear it cured cancer too.

:roll:

Turnip2k

Harvester
Then make the punishments more interesting. If you go evil, attackers get 100% injury when hitting you, you get no AR (if solo), they get 100% bounty on you, you get no injury on attacks or defense etc....

You could even introduce a whole different aspect to the game doing this - it would have fundamental advantages / disadvantages weather you went 'good' or 'evil'. Even having just a bounty on your head gave you *somthing* to think about before you went bashing every 20% (back then) target in sight.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
... snip ...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that 'old law/fame' be brought back. Just that the law/fame concept with the new fairness calc and a few tweaks for the modern gameplay could be a very useful method for reducing repeat attacks.

At least, that's what i intended when i posted.

Last edited:

CFalcon

Official Helper
I'm still sceptical that an effective system can be made that isn't confusing for new players and abusable by experienced ones.

And besides, I would far rather see carrots than sticks. People work around sticks, but they actively try for carrots. People endure land cap, they endure low insurance/bounty, they endured negative law. It takes something positive to move people.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
well L/F and the FC don't have to be the sole arbiters of lawful attacking. It's just the first thing that popped into people's heads when they posted.

I'd welcome positive encouragement to attack properly. i'd figure a combination of both would work best, although i'm always inclined to believe punishment works better than encouragement in this type of game.

people will always target the easiest IDs, the easiest routes, the easiest land simply because it's easy. Unless there is a punishment for doing such a thing, people will continue doing it, even if there is a positive reward for attacking higher. Hence, a combination would be necessary and even then it still won't eliminate the problem entirely.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
What CFalcon said.

Also, due to the fact the playerbase has been shrinking, there are a lot less targets to choose between.

Davis

Tree Surgeon
I'd just like to know how bringing back the "l/f" system is going to change this? unless the bounty system is brought back aswell. Because most people will pick easy land/bribes over having a red title any day :p infact most people (including me) would rather have a red title. :p I mean there really aren't any bad (if any) repercussions for having neg l/f i think the lower land grab is a bit more of a hassle than having neg L/f but thats just me.

Turnip2k

Harvester
Depends how bad the implications of having negative 'L/F' or its replacement are.

Also, the land cap thingie could be increaced?