Windows XP Professional Booting Problem

Micky

Beginner
G'Day all,

I'm hoping that I can get some help with a problem I have with my comp!

On Thursday evening (23rd July) my computer was running as usual. I plugged in my USB flash memory stick, scanned it with AVG (yes Azzer, I'll get Avast now :p ) and the results showed there were no viruses. (Earlier in the day I copied some files to my USB flash drive on another computer). I then began to open the flash drive and the computer froze.

I restarted and before the OS loaded, a screen came up saying,

"We appologise for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous strtup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice."

I have tried all of these options and here's what happened.

Safe Mode - this actually worked once, but now it just shows drivers loading and stops here:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\avgrkx86.sys

Safe Mode with Networking - Shows the drivers that are loading and stops at the above mentioned line.

Safe Mode with Command Prompt - Same deal here. Stops at the same line

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) - Starts to load windows (the Microsoft Windows XP loading screen with the blue moving bar), but the bar eventually slows down to something like it's stuttering or skipping when it moves.

Start Windows Normally - Same as "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked).

I have also put in the Windows XP Professional installation CD, to try and repair Windows (changed the boot sequence). I pressed "R" to repair Windows and I got into the command prompt. I then ran CHKDSK \R and after 3 hours it told me that the disk is fine. So I typed exit and the system restarted. The Microsoft Windows XP loading screen came up, the blue bar was moving and then it starts to stutter/skip. I left it for a while and nothing happened.

I restarted the comp and the message came up, "We appologise for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." e.t.c. I tried all the options again and still the same thing is happening.

Today I put my USB flash drive into another computer and a virus was detected. Here's the wesite info about the virus: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-082706-1742-99

If you have trouble accessing the website, the virus was called "W32.Gammima.AG". Here's a little info about it:

DamageDamage Level: Low
Payload: Steals online gaming information from the compromised computer.
DistributionDistribution Level: Medium
Target of Infection: Spreads through local drives and removable storage devices.

After talking to people in the #Bushtarion channel, a suggestion was made stating that I could get another hard drive, make it the primary hard disk (with Windows installed) and make the hard disk I am having trouble with as the secondary drive. Wouldn't I then be able to access my original hard drive through "My Computer" on the new primary drive and copy across all the files I need, reformat my original drive and copy the files back over?

I really do not want to have to reformat my HDD. Can anyone think of a way that I can access the files on my HDD without reformatting?

I hope that someone can help me with my problem! :(

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
If you stick in a new drive as you suggested then yes you'd be able to copy all important files over (provided you installed active AV software etc before plugging in the old hard drive!).

Have you tried getting into the Windows Install from the CD and choosing (initially) to 'install' windows? I believe there's an option later on that asks if you want to install or repair the windows installation, instead of just repairing it from the beginning...

Alternatively, get into the recovery console and rename or move the AVG driver that the comp is failing to load (c:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\avgrkx86.sys), reboot and see if that helps.

Souls

Official Helper
Have you tried getting into the Windows Install from the CD and choosing (initially) to 'install' windows? I believe there's an option later on that asks if you want to install or repair the windows installation, instead of just repairing it from the beginning...

Yep, it asks if you want to repair your Windows installation and proceeds to reinstall all the system files. :p

f0xx

Landscape Designer
I've seen this same proble a few times and I still have no idea how it got fixed.

Once it was some problem with a cable to the HDD, after that it was a problem with some program, something like DemonTools (that is what the geeks at the PC store said after they fixed it but I doubt that was actually the problem), the other time it got fixed by itself...

I don't know tbh...

TaO

Tree Surgeon
G'Day all,

I have tried all of these options and here's what happened.

Safe Mode - this actually worked once, but now it just shows drivers loading and stops here:

I hope that someone can help me with my problem! :(

Option 1;
Try booting from a bootalble USB disk. Then do as Weeble said.
Go to the directory which has the corrupted driver, and delete it. Renaming has no use, as it will just show up again with the new name.
Try booting from your normal hard disk again.

Option 2;
Try safe mode again, wait a while. Safe mode always takes a load of time to start.
If it cant boot from safe mode, your better off reinstalling Windows.

And ofc there is this ultimate way of getting it back to work..
Go see a computer doctor :)

Micky

Beginner
Fixed

Fixed

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions! In the end I bought a new hard drive, installed Windows on it, managed to copy the files I needed over to the new hard drive and reformatted the old one. Installed Windows on the old one again and it's all running fine! :)

Micky