Big earthquake in Romania :o

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Today at 10:50 BG/RO time a huge earthquake with an epicentre 350 km away from Constanta (DS's hometown) shoke RO and BG. The earthquake has been measured to be 5.8 by Richter (or however you spell it).

Hopefully all is well there DS!

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Awww :D
It didn't feel too big tbh, i got through some 7 degrees ones so this one wasn't bad at all.
Was on mirc when it happened and wrote about it the very next seconds :p

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Well I didn't feel it at all, but 5.8 is quite a lot. Luckily the epicentre wasn't that close. Just a couple of weeks ago a 3.5 one with an epicentre 6 km away from my town shoke BG and it felt big...dunno how a 5.8 one would feel like :/

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
If the earthquake had of cut an SC stream, DS would of been raging and it would of been worst earthquake in 50 years ;D

Bruce666

Harvester
i honestly dont think i have ever felt the earth move from an quake in the uk, i know papers have said theirs been small ones but never big enough too really feel, not too sound incredibly stupid but why don't we have bigger earthquakes in the UK

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
Bruce, it's called plate tectonics and the UK is pretty firmly in an area where the plates aren't shifting too much. On another note, 5.8 isn't too bad. It's when you get over 7 that serious damage becomes widespread, but glad to hear you are all alright.

alexx

Harvester
because there arent any continental thingies close to UK...

****: too late ;0

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Bruce, it's called plate tectonics and the UK is pretty firmly in an area where the plates aren't shifting too much. On another note, 5.8 isn't too bad. It's when you get over 7 that serious damage becomes widespread, but glad to hear you are all alright.

The Richter Scale increases logarithmically. A rating of 5 is 10 times the size of a rating of 4. A rating of 6 is 10 times as big as a 5, etc. So anything up to about a 6 isn't too bad. After that they get pretty scary.

I did actually feel the earthquake in Britain a couple of years ago. I didn't know it was an earthquake at the time and just thought my brother was making a load of noise in his room (we have a very old and shaky house).

And yeah, the UK is nowhere near any plate boundaries, but there are tiny fault lines in all the plates, and I'm guessing that is what caused the British one.