• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Maneuvers - As an alternative to sleepmode

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
We all staff is more valuable than land, and especially so for people who bountyhunt or bribe their income, rather than grow it.

Now, if you for some reason or other as a solo wants to be sure your staff is safe, you have sleepmode. But as the minimum requirement time there is 8 h its not really useful for the times where you say have lectures for 3 hours, or are going to a movie for say 5 hours.

One solution is to send all staff to defend ID1. With a tractor to make it eta7 that means 3h where the staff is away.

What if you where able to instead of sending the staff on a sightseeing, could send it on "maneuvers" for a set number of ticks.

It would be like sending to ID 1 except you could specify how many tick the staff was going to be "maneuvering" in the field. from twice the eta of the slowest unit in the mob, up to 48 ticks (= 8 hours).

In this period you would risk someone getting a free landgrab, but for a briber that's not a big deal. You would be able to buy more staff at home, harvest and plant and so on.

Anyone spying would see a mob going on maneuvers but would not know for how long.

I think the penalty (leaving your land unguarded) would off set the bonus (keeping your staff safe) and would make it a bit easier for inactive solos to keep their staff alive...

This suggestion as a though around the whole "make sleep more flexible" discussion earlier...

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I like the idea of having something more flexible than sleep mode but i just dont like the idea of people being able to be invincible while they are away and still able to get seeds from it...

I would be more for it if you could send your staff away for fixed times only, but have more options i.e 3/5/8/12/24 hours and also had reduced seed production (at say 20%) but tbh i'd rather see a change in sleep mode to make it more usable without making people invincible (something like: http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11288&postcount=5).

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Im actually for this idea. Like Enrico said, the 'invinciblility of your troops is offset by the fact that you most likely be rapped for land.

So you are barely going to keep your land. As soon as someone realises you are sending away each night they are going to rape you for land. And it wont be long before a significant number of people add you to their list and you loose all your land every night.

Sleep mode makes you invincible. And so does this.

The offset for sleepmode is much less income, but you keep your land for income during the day.
The offset for this idea is that you get rapped for land, thus having low income 24/7.

I like this idea because it is not really much better than sleepmode, but is more flexible.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Yeah, thats why i'd prefer to see sleepmode adapted than add some totally new system

And also, LET rushes will largely be impossible. As if your in a good alliance you can send all your troops away, and then if your attacked your ally can defend.

Also the chances of you loosing all your land each time you do it is pretty low, and if you do...why would anyone actually use it. Yes you have a bit more flexibility and higher seed income but if your gonna loose 75% of your acres each time you use it (assuming you're doing this throughout the night or something) then is it actually worth it...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Yeah, thats why i'd prefer to see sleepmode adapted than add some totally new system

And also, LET rushes will largely be impossible. As if your in a good alliance you can send all your troops away, and then if your attacked your ally can defend.

Also the chances of you loosing all your land each time you do it is pretty low, and if you do...why would anyone actually use it. Yes you have a bit more flexibility and higher seed income but if your gonna loose 75% of your acres each time you use it (assuming you're doing this throughout the night or something) then is it actually worth it...

All good reasons to not go with maneuvers and improve the sleepmode we have now.

Not to take away from your thought/hard work Enrico, but perhaps use it to alter sleepmode, rather than invent an entirely new system. Although if you perhaps added some elements from sleepmode into your system, that too could work. Just a combination of them both would be best :p

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
Well, an attacker, unless he's lucky and spy you right after you start maneuvers, still will have to send a normal attack, or risk loosing his Flak. (In case you just maneuvered for say 6 ticks to lure people in) I doubt many attackers would be that interested if the target has say 3k land.

Naturally, for anyone going for value, the option would be less interesting, but for players more interested in fun, logging on to full staff, and low landcount is great, just means more targets! And then a decent bounty run more than makes up for the lost income. Not to mention that stealing say 3k acres in a day is not that difficult in the lower ranks, you would just have a much higher turnover of acres.

Sure in a good ally you could gamble on someone else saving your land, but I doubt that would be very popular with your allymates in the long run... and primarily this was meant for solos.

Was just an idea, as I think a sleepmode with full freedom to set times would be too powerful.