A PC for playing flash games.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
i do have to agree with BlackWolf here. Intel are the better 'gaming' chips atm while the AMD are better at multitasking.
Where the heck you draw that multitasking part from? It is almost hilarious. Both Intel and AMD chips are based on same basics so why would same amount of cores having CPUs have differences in multitasking? specially cause every core of Intels beats in raw power every core of AMD your statement is completely faulty.

Yang

Harvester
Well I think I overdid the conversion :p

its like 200 euros, maybe less, worked with 1 Pound Sterling to 2.5 euros :p, which is cheap compared to the many 600-700 euro ones there are...

aGit

Harvester
You can at least chuck like a 16-32GB SSD in for your Windows partition and applications, so you have wtf-bbq-pwn speedy bootup times, application load times, and reliability (no mechanical/moving parts to break down!). And then just get a huge "standard" drive for all your data storage and crap.

Best advice so far.

except shuting down your 'puter is so last millenia.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Have to say I've never "got that"! Am I the only person around that's a bit of (quite a big bit of ;) ) a geek, that still shuts down my PC every night (unless I have very good reason not to, which is rare)!?

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
You can at least chuck like a 16-32GB SSD in for your Windows partition and applications, so you have wtf-bbq-pwn speedy bootup times, application load times, and reliability (no mechanical/moving parts to break down!). And then just get a huge "standard" drive for all your data storage and crap.

Best advice so far.

Except it saves you tons of electricity over a year and with current prices and eviromental stuff it is what you should do. Also you computer no matter how you "dont shut it" always has current running throught it and that results in electrical detoriation over long perioids and as such decreasing the life of your hardware.

About SSD... there are no working SSD drives with cheap enought prices for any kind of usage under normal circumstances. Lets see... maybe Azzer can make his game to work on SSD drive as long as actually changing database is not... and it will show on somewhere. But using SSD drives which have certain amount of time (around 100-200k writes) before they die... well not worth of that speed. Instead get multiple nice cheap big HDs and run those in RAID configuration which way you can get huge reading and writing speeds. Specially putting windows to SSD drive is like last thing to do. Amount of stuff that windows writes all the time to drive is insanely high.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Have to say I've never "got that"! Am I the only person around that's a bit of (quite a big bit of ;) ) a geek, that still shuts down my PC every night (unless I have very good reason not to, which is rare)!?
I shut my PC down now whenever I'm going to be away for >2 hours (or so)...

About SSD... there are no working SSD drives with cheap enought prices for any kind of usage under normal circumstances. Lets see... maybe Azzer can make his game to work on SSD drive as long as actually changing database is not... and it will show on somewhere. But using SSD drives which have certain amount of time (around 100-200k) before they die... well not worth of that speed. Instead get multiple nice cheap big HDs and run those in RAID configuration which way you can get huge reading and writing speeds. Specially putting windows to SSD drive is like last thing to do. Amount of stuff that windows writes all the time to drive is insanely high.
SSDs are getting cheaper now. Seen a 30GB OCZ SSD going for around £80, which is pretty good.
It's worth getting one if you can as it speeds up loading times massively. RAIDs are good for file integrity - stick all your documents/etc on a RAID config and you're sorted for the future, but if you can get a SSD for your OS and a number of programs, do.
Getting several "cheap big HDs" is a bad idea.

SSDs generally have an incredibly high RoT, BlackWolf, so I don't know what you're on about when you say putting Windows on one is a bad thing considering the number of operations/s Windows completes. Most SSDs will outperform most HDDs in terms of read/write speeds.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
SSDs generally have an incredibly high RoT, BlackWolf, so I don't know what you're on about when you say putting Windows on one is a bad thing considering the number of operations/s Windows completes. Most SSDs will outperform most HDDs in terms of read/write speeds.

Whatta heck is RoT?
SSDs are made with 2 different techniques. SLC and MLC. Where MLCs are the cheaper and slower ones used mainly in these HDs you talk about but their durability is not that good.

Instead SLC which is faster and more expencive and used in big SSD systems of companies is much more durable. (Still peaking only around 1m writes) I have warned you. 200k (which is what is said these will last which is most like some 100k more than they actually do last) writings to single block is not that much really. specially if you start to think Windows and how it uses page files and how it operates.

Yes you can get pretty good search and burst reading times and you can if making compilation etc. where searching takes most of the time exceed normal HDs by far. But if you ask from me... putting 80£ to some 30Gb of memory that runs for 2 years tops and then starts to detoriate and lose its size and my data... well is not worth of those few miliseconds... specially if I need my HDs also to move large files, to read large files and to write large files.

To make it more understandable when ever SSD writes something let it be 1 byte, it needs to erase and rewrite whole block. In SSD drives each block that is what makes SSDs not to be choice of mine yet. As with normal usage the amount of blocks such drive must rewrite is pertty huge in current windows environment makes SSDs only usable as boot drives and for special purposes.

Last edited:

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
then starts to detoriate and lose its size and my data

SSDs don't lose their data. The amount of writes per block refers to writes only. They can be read from an infinite amount of time. SSDs are much better for data integrity than HHDs. So if you've written to your SSD so many times that you're unable to write anymore, you can still read data from it.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
then starts to detoriate and lose its size and my data

SSDs don't lose their data. The amount of writes per block refers to writes only. They can be read from an infinite amount of time. SSDs are much better for data integrity than HHDs. So if you've written to your SSD so many times that you're unable to write anymore, you can still read data from it.
And there once again someone who speaks of what he doesnt know of. If it only would be like that. When ever you try to write something to your SSD it reads whole block to memory and rewrites it. This ends up to you losing your whole data if written block stops working.

That SSD drive doesnt know if data write fails or not, and no they are not readable forever, their reads and writes are full of errors same as are blocks of normal HDs. If block is written and detoriated enought it will have so much errors in it that it is practically unreadable, but your SSD doesnt know it. Every format has errors and has error fixing. That is why when something breaks down it causes troubles as if large enought chunk breaks it makes it unreadable and with SSD drives those chunks are enormeous in comparison to normal HDs.

SSD drives will be the future way of storing info, but with their current prices and their normal (large chunk) transfer, write and read speed they are not worth of the money. If you add to that possibility to lose your information/ crippled hard drive. I dont think it is worth of it anymore.

Its close... SSDs have improved in last 1-2 years at insane speed, realibility has increased time 10 if not even more to what it was... But I still wouldnt recommend SSDs to anyone. You are not person who wants to pay for others "beta testing". When SSDs are ready then go ahead and get one... but for now my answer is still no.

Well ofc if money is not a problem go ahead and get as much SSD drives as you can and run those on raid-0 and you have one insanely fast computer... but that I see to be another story... Specially when even today I have working 1.2Gb, 2Gb,20Gb etc. drives on my shelf from around early 90s... and they still run like a charm and I keep em valuable drives in case something happens.

Last edited: