Bush World Cup 2009 - Discussion

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Its almost 3 years to the day since the last "Bush World Cup" (Sponsored by Harbinger, who very kindly paid for the PW)

It incorporated 10 teams from around the world. Each team representing their country. Each team consisted of 10 players, 100 in all, and it made for a very interesting, if not slap-dash, private world.

-

This time round, I propose a little more consultation. There are a number of things that need to be discussed if we're to see the possibility of a World Cup 09'.

Such as:

• Who will meed the cost of the PW? - A 2 week, 10 minute tick PW, will cost 45 BC for 100 people to play in (Do we find a sponsor for the event, or will each team pay 5 BC to enter?)

• What settings should the PW have?
  • Who will decide the team captains? (The playerbase? How? A vote?)
  • Who will decide the 10 best players from each country? (The captains? The playerbase?)
  • When will it start? (A couple of weeks planning will almost certainly be required to get things right)
  • What will be the reward? A BC reward for each player could be costly, for example awarding each member of the winning team 5 BC, would cost 50 in all. Maybe a new Player Award'? 20-50 points? Or a special in-game unit. Something to encourage people to do well!
An idea I had was trying to make the PW "Official" - With Azzer's backing we could "portal" the winning country each year, eternalizing the winning country and their players.

-

I'm not sure if enough people would be behind this to bring it around again, but I'd sure like to see it happen.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jase

Harvester
Surely between 100 people 45 bc could be raised, i was going to say people could pay 1 bc to enter and winning team gets:
Rank 1: 10bc
Rank 2-10: 5bc

Thats 55bc + 45 to start it = 100 (1 from each player) but then i know some people cannot attain bc for reasons...

Team captains would be best voted for then the captains pick people who have entered off a list taking it in turns (yes i know that would take forever you did say 2 weeks planning..). Anyhoo that's my thoughts :)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I'm not sure whether people would be more interested in an in-game based reward, like a special unit, or a 20-50 point reward in the "User Awards" section, something like "World Cup Winner".

Or something.

Melnibone

Head Gardener
Fantactic idea DA doubt i'll be involved though there isnt 10 scots still playing i dont think :(

First one that we finished 3rd in behind the Mighty Dutch and the even Mightier Finland at the time was a complete blast id recommend ANYONE to sign up for this if 9 scots PM me ofc i'll certainly think about a team!!

Franny

Head Gardener
My grandpa is scottish so im pretty sure im able to play for scotland :D

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Sounds interesting. I think PW settings should always be pretty close to those in World 1 (apart from low tech costs/dev times).

lavadog

Head Gardener
Belgium represent! :D

In fact, are there ten belgians on here? I know hobbe and scorpio are belgian and I've seen one or two more ingame.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Its almost 3 years to the day since the last "Bush World Cup" (Sponsered by Harbinger, who very kindly paid for the PW)

It incorporated 10 teams from around the world. Each team representing their country. Each team consisted of 10 players, 100 in all, and it made for a very interesting, if not slap-dash, private world.

-

This time round, I propose a little more consultation. There are a number of things that need to be discussed if we're to see the possibility of a World Cup 09'.

Such as:

• Who will meed the cost of the PW? - A 2 week, 10 minute tick PW, will cost 45 BC for 100 people to play in (Do we find a sponsor for the event, or will each team pay 5 BC to enter?)

• What settings should the PW have?
  • Who will decide the team captains? (The playerbase? How? A vote?)
  • Who will decide the 10 best players from each country? (The captains? The playerbase?)
  • When will it start? (A couple of weeks planning will almost certainly be required to get things right)
  • What will be the reward? A BC reward for each player could be costly, for example awarding each member of the winning team 5 BC, would cost 50 in all. Maybe a new Player Award'? 20-50 points? Or a special in-game unit. Something to encourage people to do well!
An idea I had was trying to make the PW "Official" - With Azzer's backing we could "portal" the winning country each year, eternalizing the winning country and their players.

-

I'm not sure if enough people would be behind this to bring it around again, but I'd sure like to see it happen.

Thoughts?

Cost
If it's official, Azzer could front it? Maybe just have 1 BC to buy P-Unit though or something though?

Settings
Low cost, fast ticks, 10 man teams. Needs to be fast and reward those who can grow well with low cash, also makes route choices more tactical.

Teams/Captains - People from each country should vote for their captain, then the captain picks the players. The reason being is that everyone should have a chance to vote for their choice of captain. Although the leader should then pick his team as you can't lead people you think are shitty. Alliance captains should try and not be bias towards friends ofc.

Reward
Do we need a reward? It will just make those who weren't selected to play more jealous, we don't play the game for a reward now. Names in portal though for sure.

I think the idea is great aslong as you can get enough teams. What really annoyed me last time is the "My mum knew someone in America so I can play for them". You have ONE country that you are in, either the one you are born in or reside in.

Melnibone

Head Gardener
Martins last point is absolutely correct you must represent the country of your IP location.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Martins last point is absolutely correct you must represent the country of your IP location.

Well mods can check the IPs of all forum users, so that one wouldnt be a problem :p

-

I think the real issue would be getting *10* players from each country. Some countries, for example the UK, would obviously have no difficulty finding that number. Its others, like perhaps Belgium, that may have difficulty.

How do we tackle this?

One idea could be to overlap countries with few (but good/active) members of the playerbase. Much in the same way the UK can be defined as England+Scotland, so that English and Scottish guys can be chosen for the "UK" , we could have a similar informal way of grouping together, for example, Norway and Sweden (just off the top of my head here..)

Scorpio

Head Gardener

In fact, are there ten belgians on here? I know hobbe and scorpio are belgian and I've seen one or two more ingame.

Indeed. There are also 3 more ppl I know IRL that *may* join(Intense, HotShot(=retired though) and a newer player. I've also seen that there is a MrJ playing(or is that you? :p)

So that's 5-6 players from Belgium so far :)

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

Indeed. There are also 3 more ppl I know IRL that *may* join(Intense, HotShot(=retired though) and a newer player. I've also seen that there is a MrJ playing(or is that you? :p)

I know speed (retired) and jenssen irl, also Belgians.
And beemer and demey, dunno how their status is atm.

Scorpio

Head Gardener
Its others, like perhaps Belgium, that may have difficulty.

How do we tackle this?

One idea could be to overlap countries with few (but good/active) members of the playerbase. Much in the same way the UK can be defined as England+Scotland, so that English and Scottish guys can be chosen for the "UK" , we could have a similar informal way of grouping together, for example, Norway and Sweden (just off the top of my head here..)

A possibility!
Azzer could also send an in-game mail to every id promoting ppl to sign up for their country with the forum link included. That way, people who don't check the forums are also adressed...

timthetyrant

Head Gardener
ummm... who chooses what countries are involved? or is that a silly question because there are only 10 countries with 10+ players?

lavadog

Head Gardener

Nah, I use the same name ingame as I use here :) We can always buy some monkeys and train them Rocky-style to fill up the gaps :D

aGit

Harvester
dont think finland has enough representatives in this community anymore to pull a team of 10 =/

Melnibone

Head Gardener
shame that team was a machine and would have been my favourites for the title :(

Mattheus

Head Gardener
Like has been said, you really need to be strict about nationality. It became a complete farce last time, like Martin said. People claimed nationality because of ridiculously loose connections, it wouldn't surprise me if some of them were completely made up so they could get a spot.

Gooner

Head Gardener
Does it even need to be done based on nationality... Having a massive private world just based around the allied being named after coutries in the world cup would be good imo.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Does it even need to be done based on nationality... Having a massive private world just based around the allied being named after coutries in the world cup would be good imo.

The whole point is for the PW to determine, or at least indicate, which country has the best players :p