Ending Powerblocks :(

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Time for some honesty that perhaps 60 (or more!?) players in the game don't want to hear and may choose to convince themselves couldn't possibly be true, but hear me out:

The important fact bit:
Powerblocks kill the game. And the business. Genuinely. There have been a number of rounds in the last 6 years where large powerblocks have dominated (be it 2 or 3 allies), and those rounds the playerbase dwindles more than any other round, people that stay playing don't want to buy game-cash/p-units as much (it's not "worth it" or they have to keep their scores low to stay out of range of the powerblock who are now just "bottomfeeding" off anyone that hops into range), and business itself takes a temporary but always dangerous plunge. Past powerblocks have damaged Bushtarion. The current powerblock is damaging Bushtarion. It's damaging not just the players and community, but it's damaging the actual very business itself. The current powerblock might be "enjoying" their dominance, but you're helping to directly throttle the game. No amount of self-denial will help - it's actual 100% fact, something I see and can physically measure every single time there is a powerblock.

I have in the past tried to implement automated systems to prevent powerblocks (for example CRA) - this doesn't work, and I will not ever attempt that again. I have come to realise that no game mechanic can ever "force" two groups of players to attack eachother/to not work together for a round. Because not attacking eachother, or working together, is something that is external of game mechanics, it's something that happens through social systems, and often in private (so mechanics cannot prevent it, and rules cannot prevent it).

So here's a new approach - being honest and trying to educate users who didn't already guess it. I am asking the players not to powerblock, and if able (and you are able) to stop the current powerblock - for the sake of Bushtarion itself. I can not and will not force you to remove your powerblock or change the way you are playing, that would be unfair to you - but I can try to educate you as to what your playstyle is doing to the whole of Bushtarion itself (the community and the business). And if you genuinely care, you will stop it.

I will continue working on things discussed in the past couple of months on IRC and the forums to help "resistance efforts" be an actually viable system, and to also make "bottomfeeding" unrewarding, which will all help out in situations where top allies form powerblocks and don't care what they do to the business/the game. I'm not simply going to make this announcement, hope for the best, and do nothing. I am working on new features and changes to existing features too (a number of changes will be in for next round).

If you want to discuss powerblocks, or ideas to help resistances that are realistic, fun, and fair to everybody involved, then both IRC (click "Live Chat" when in-game in the game menu) and the forums will always welcome constructive discussions, especially if it can generate solutions and new ideas for the future (I can often be found chatting in #bushtarion between 20:00 GMT and 00:00 GMT, if you want to try and catch me online to have some open discussions in the room about game ideas, features, the future etc.!). I don't want to see spammy/trolly/flamey arguments or personal attacks on individuals though.

And to the 60 players that may be reading this and thinking "sod it, we earned our rank/we broke no rules/we enjoy this/I don't believe anything Azzer says because he's just out to get us" - consider for a moment the cost of your enjoyment and the damage, and consider that I am being serious, and consider that if I was just out to get you I would just come and get you ( ;) ) - you are hurting in a bigger way than any badly coded feature could hurt, and I have witnessed this in a number of past rounds, this isn't the only round there's been a powerblock and I've witnessed exactly the same things happening in the same ways, so have many old veterans here.

Finally - yes there are other things and aspects that damage the game, the community, some that are my own fault. Features that are unwanted. Lack of features that are wanted. The way forums/IRC got moderated/opped or staffed (or not staffed). These things all get worked on over time, through players that give constructive feedback, that's also why we're on Age 5 not Age 1. Sometimes bad changes get made and have to be fixed, other times great changes get made. But don't try to deflect the issue of powerblocks with other issues, this thread and this announcement is not about these other things, it's about something that the players themselves can fix - powerblocks. I'll help with future game and community changes... but you the players... top players especially... can actually directly help if you care about the game, the community, the business, and the future - stop powerblocks. Prevent them. Discourage them. And most of all: Don't be selfish! :D

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Time left: 20.58 days.

I won't be guilt tripped into backstabing my friends.
And i don't see how ending the current one will do anything for business.
I also wont be partaking in any future powerblocks.

Steve_God

Official Helper
I never realised there was such a significant effect from it if I'm honest :s

I'd also already planned to not be involved in an similar PowerBlock situation in the future.

If we had originated as three separate allies at the start, then things would have been different, as we would have turned on each other by now - however we were set-up as one alliance from the start, so all members would refuse to attack their friends from the other wings anyway.

Just as a suggestion to 'enforce' it won't happen again - could a well worded paragraph to be added to the EULA for future rounds?

Blackbeard

Beginner
I agree with both the replies...didn't realize it would hurt biz, and also feel strongly about not backstabbing m8's.

No more powerblock for me in the future.

On the other hand, the ally's below rank 3 are still competing strongly and its not like they're not continually attacking smaller ally's, bashing and scoring land. So whats the big deal if they just wont grow beyond rank 4?

To be really honest, this has been one of the most boring rounds i've played, only because there is so little activity in the powerblock. Its worked for me this round tho just because i've gotta lot of stuff going on in RL.

Thanks Azzer for everything you do for bush and your continuous efforts to make it better!

torp

Beginner
Since the round is already decided, why not end it early?

I started playing bushtarion again after a ~2 years break and it's sooo boring at the bottom... no active accounts except the bots.

Silence

Head Gardener
I agree with both the replies...didn't realize it would hurt biz, and also feel strongly about not backstabbing m8's.

No more powerblock for me in the future.

On the other hand, the ally's below rank 3 are still competing strongly and its not like they're not continually attacking smaller ally's, bashing and scoring land. So whats the big deal if they just wont grow beyond rank 4?

To be really honest, this has been one of the most boring rounds i've played, only because there is so little activity in the powerblock. Its worked for me this round tho just because i've gotta lot of stuff going on in RL.

Thanks Azzer for everything you do for bush and your continuous efforts to make it better!

How can you be *so* naive? I guess this post is aimed at Steve too. How did you not realise that people don’t want to play a game where there is no competition? What’s the point? The amount of frustration I’m feeling right now is unbelievable how did you NOT know that it was killing the game?!

F*** off there is competition at ranks 4 and below. We won’t hit each other almost out of pity because we have to deal with players in the power block "bottom feeding". Secondly if we *do* organise a attack as a group we instantly get jumped on by the "bottom feeders"

Before a reply is given "you are just crying about losing" I would like to state that I have bashed a lot during the time I have played the game and also been on the receiving end a lot too, however the key difference here is that the "top" ( I use that word loosely because they by NO means deserve it) will never properly grow out of range. With a group of 20 the majority will grow out of range and the round can continue, but this time it is CONTINUOUS. How can you not realise that you are killing the game. So f***ing ignorant its retarded

The next issue is boredom. The round has been boring throughout the rankings. Power block is bored because lack of targets and I know my alliance is bored too. To the extent that we have to cause a fuss and start acting like "8 year olds" to get some fun out of the game where we created charchters to piss off moderators, targetting those in the powerblock especially (and inferno because he is a c**t). This round has ruined the excitement I used to have for the game. Ive played for a long time now and loved every round until now.

So finally, your statement of "no power block in future". I doubt there will ever be one. The player base is crumbling, I know that I won’t be around much longer which justifies my "8 year old actions" this round as to be honest I can give a toss anymore. I found myself searching for a new strategy game I can play with a larger player base.

Thank you for killing the game I used to love.

brett

Planter
well put azzer and also its nice to hear from twigs n steve that they will not take part in another powerblock it has killed this round, at least it was not the round where u spent loads on marketing eh azzer!!!

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
I personally would like to see vast reductions in acre grabs attacking at 30, 35,40 and maybe even 45%. If you drop the land grab to !-2% when attacking at 30-32%, less people will attack that range, and even if they do, they won't be rewarded very much for their efforts. I still believe full land grabs should happen if there is mass def, even attacking at the bottom of your range, because it still takes quite a bit of skill/luck to land when more than 4 people send def.

As for the current powerblock. This is realistically like every other round. The only difference right now is that the rank 4 and 5 allies are both top 3 caliber and are therefore bashing the lower alliances as well. Sure, the top three alliances have to do the same, but all that has ended up happening is that the 4th and 5th rank alliances become the usual 1st and 2nd rank alliances. What I'm saying is that every round is pretty much the same. The top 2-3 alliances dominate every other alliance, whilst trying to stay out of the range of the very top alliance. The big difference this round is that there are three alliances at the top which forces the second best group slightly lower, where they have a bigger impact on the general player base. I understand that people aren't spending in heaps, but to me it seems that more people have bought p-units/game-cash than normal. To be quite honest, had I not been playing in one of the top allies I would not have bought the p-unit, and I know this is true for quite a few other people I've talked to.

All-in-all, powerblocks suck, but it is really just an extension of a normal round where 20-40 people bash the living daylights out of everyone else. This time those same 20-40 people are getting bashed, and therefore they are still bashing people, just at lower ranks. Reduce land grabs/injury/insurance for attacking at the bottom and people will stop abusing the system (to a slight degree).

/end drunk ramble.

S

Slug

yh not many people know me in the game but i got a couple points

yeah poweblocking is killing it and alot of people are givin up cause once a team gets on top and out of range then its almost impossible to kill them because alot of players below start becoming inactive and start givin up.

So Not sure if you guys have had discussions about this or not but i say you should lower the allaince members. 20 is way to much. i say go down to 10 members. or even 8. if you do that more battles would go on, more of a chance to fight through out the game. cause its harder to have people online so more would have to be active.

and add in the fame and honour again. idk if thats just me but i personally liked that idea. gives peoples goals to try and be either good or bad.

just my thoughts.

Podunk

Head Gardener
I for one will never be involved in a powerblock. If that's anything.

I've been avoiding the game this round because of it. Nothing to play for, nothing to achieve, a bunch of effort for nothing in return.

What would be funny is if Azzer didn't publish a portal this round out of spite :p, just so we can forget about this god awful excuse of a round.

Anyways here's to next round :cheers:

Max

Garden Designer
Wow, I never knew that it would actually damage the game! And never realised that it had done in the past either.

I must say that I was always going to play slow this round and then try to do better next round, but I guess nobody wants to zealously spend bush creds when they know that they cannot win with them!

Either way, I hope that this is the last powerblock that we ever see with this new information. Maybe we'll see some more solos next round as well? :)

dafe

Harvester
im glad this post has been made as i agree the powerblocks ruin the game...and this round being the worst...and hope this wont happen in the future as if it does i probably wont be playing again (and i could say something to the ppl in the powerblock that say they dont realize it ruins the game...but that would be just too bad and get me a ban or something so i wont ;) )

avash

Harvester
If we had originated as three separate allies at the start, then things would have been different, as we would have turned on each other by now - however we were set-up as one alliance from the start, so all members would refuse to attack their friends from the other wings anyway.

Just as a suggestion to 'enforce' it won't happen again - could a well worded paragraph to be added to the EULA for future rounds?

I am not playing this round mate but as you orginated as 3 alliances together it was kind of obvious you were going to win as in this day and age theres not enough force to stop you. It was kinda power blocked even before the round started.

IceOfFire

Garden Designer
As for the current powerblock. This is realistically like every other round. The only difference right now is that the rank 4 and 5 allies are both top 3 caliber and are therefore bashing the lower alliances as well.

So so so so so so wrong!

Rank 4-5 alliances attack alot LESS than you think!! We cant send attacks, because TBA find it fun to time their attacks and send at us so we have to recall. I do not think i have organised an attack in weeks! That is not lie!!

And the bullshit out of BlackBeards and Steves mouth!! You had no idea of how stale and horrible you were making the game? You should be HUNG for that comment! What have every gripe about you this round been saying?? And you think constant incs are fun?

I've lost all passion for this round, i dont bother leading my alliance (Chance) they have no real leadership from me, because you know why? It's not worth puttin my energy into a round where know one cares!! I would have quit sooo long ago if i wasnt leading an alliance with my friends in it!

And to all Mods/official helps etc...Silence hit the nail on the head, we piss around because we are so bored. What else is there to do?

If powerblocks are anything in the future, count me out of this game.

Fardie/Farvie/Farkie/Furu FTW.

Alchemist

Weeder
Im in the powerblock, and Its kinda boring, but im not going to stab anyone in the back now, but as someone said, why not end the round 2 weeks erlyer? and perhaps offer incentives to players who continualy purchase game credit, ie buy 5 punits and get 5bc free, or something like that.

I also will not be in any powerblock ever again.

Alchemist

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
To reply to a few people here, Silence included.

I don't think it was short-sighted of Steve/Twigley/JJ to have made a powerblock (at least in the sense that they should have been aware their block would severely damaged the quality of gameplay).

Isn't a powerblock just winged alliances that are winning? If we're all going to say "Powerblocks are bad, I won't join one next round" - We've all to agree not to have winged alliances.

If we're saying "powerblocks are bad for the game", which I think we all agree they are, we're inadvertently saying the same thing of "wings" altogether. Because essentially - a powerblock is just the prevailing formation of winged alliances.

I won't form, or be part of, future winged' alliances. But I think to jump on Steve/Twigley/JJ's back for making one this round, is a little "mean" tbh. While I'm sure they now understand the impact of 3 dominant alliances in the game, I'm pretty sure this impact was somewhat unprecedented.

Last edited:

saint1d

Head Gardener
I'm in the "powerblock". I didnt expect things to turn out this way, it was just supposed to be a bit of fun. I feel bad that it has had such an impact on the game and other players in general, and I am pleased Azzer has spoken out about it.

I'm considering deleting my id, but will speak to the ally later today and come to a decision. I dont really want to leave cos I will get bashed to hell haha

Nagash

Weeder
I find the amount of naivity cosidering the powerblock quite incomprhensable. Considering alliance naps have been removed and the majority of alliances in recent rounds have never been napped or at least for no longer than 1/2 weeks ceasefire. How can the current powerblock really have expected anything but a win/stale and boring round. I think maybe a ban rule for those involved in future powerblocks should be implemented. Basically take part in one and your accounts banned for the next round. Amazing that all those people involved in the powerblock are now eating humble pie and claiming they will never be involved again. May i ask if Azzer hadent made this announcement would you still be saying what your claiming in this thread?

fred

BANNED
To reply to a few people here, Silence included.

I don't think it was short-sighted of Steve/Twigley/JJ to have made a powerblock (at least in the sense that they should have been aware their block would severely damaged the quality of gameplay).

Isn't a powerblock just winged alliances that are winning? If we're all going to say "Powerblocks are bad, I won't join one next round" - We've all to agree not to have winged alliances.

If we're saying "powerblocks are bad for the game", which I think we all agree they are, we're inadvertently saying the same thing of "wings" altogether. Because essentially, a powerblock is just the prevailing formation of winged alliances.

I won't form, or be part of, future powerblocks :)

In the 'old' days we had A-NAPS when alliances had wings so we could defend our alliance NAPs as needed.
Perhaps a modification of this (internal game mechanics permitting of course) where if more than one alliance is attacking you your 'A-NAP' alliance can defend you? Or perhaps when the attackers total score is 2 times higher than the targets score the A-NAP can defend (cumulative across an alliance and not just one target).

Last edited by a moderator:

fred

BANNED
I find the amount of naivity cosidering the powerblock quite incomprhensable. Considering alliance naps have been removed and the majority of alliances in recent rounds have never been napped or at least for no longer than 1/2 weeks ceasefire. How can the current powerblock really have expected anything but a win/stale and boring round. I think maybe a ban rule for those involved in future powerblocks should be implemented. Basically take part in one and your accounts banned for the next round. Amazing that all those people involved in the powerblock are now eating humble pie and claiming they will never be involved again. May i ask if Azzer hadent made this announcement would you still be saying what your claiming in this thread?

Good post !!!!

Same thoughts .. they all say 'sorry' but will do it all again next round ...