PS3 vs 360

PS3 vs 360

• Total voters

timtadams

Landscape Designer
WHICH IS BETTER?

I have decided to start off by saying that I prefer the PS3. However, i am not saying, like most die hard fans that the other console is crap. I have decided to outline some pros and cons of the two consoles (who cares about the Wii, even if it does sell more, cause thats not what people like to argue about ;)).

PS3

Developed by: SONY
Released: November 11, 2006 (in Japan)
Number in series: 3

PROS:
  • Plays Blu-ray content, thus can serve as a Full HD 1080p (progressive) movie player, along with Full HD sound (7.1 channel). In fact the quality of Blu-ray playback often exceeds that of many current dedicated Blu-ray players
  • Free online play
  • Sleek and sexy design. Slot loading, neat sensitive power and eject buttons (not sure how they actually work) and shiny black casing, including silver features such as logo, strip, and buttons.
  • XrossMediaBar (XMB for short). Clever design and easy to navigate. Available with limited functions during game play.
  • Blue tooth connectivity with PSP. Useful for data transfer. Also means you can use PSP as a controller.
  • Supports USB keyboard and mouse.
  • Full web browsing functionality
  • Text chat with friends, including in game, even across game titles
  • Music player with some good visualizations
  • Wireless connectivity built in
  • Very quiet
  • You can connect your controllers/headset using standard USB connectors when you want to charge them

Cons:
  • Inability to play music in game because Microsoft decided to patent the ability.
  • The controllers battery packs are not replaceable, so after a many years when the batteries degrade you must buy a whole controller. However this is not much of a con as i have had 4 controllers for a few years and the battery life is still superb. Also, many devices such as Ipods have inbuilt batteries and are much more expensive. So i guess it isnt something too bad.
  • Freezes once a blue moon. This is not really a problem since it has only ever happened to me about 5 times in the 2 years ive had mine.
  • You cannot use a normal keyboard or mouse for gaming. This makes them useful for chat and web browsing only.

Xbox 360

Developed by: Microsoft
Released: November 22, 2005 (in USA, Mexico and Canada). This was actually much later than the planned launch date.
Number in series: 2

PROS:
  • Can play the obsolete HD DVD. Although this is kinda redundant. Also you have to buy an add-on drive. So this i would say is a con if you actually bought one since it would be a bit of a waste. Unless you scooped a gazillion HD DVDs when they were giving the leftovers away.
  • Can output 1080i (interlaced) video. (unsure of audio quality output)
  • Ability to play music in game. This is a big one for me.
  • According to Azzer the menu is way better than PS3, but so far hasn't given any reason why

I cant really comment on the Dashboard menu used by the 360 as i havn't really used it. Those who do have one, is it easy to use? Including in game, are there any problems with it?
What about web browsing?

CONS:
  • Early, and even not so early models were susceptible to hardware failure. Some of the arcs around the power indicator would remain red lit. This was sometimes named the "red ring of death" as if you got this your machine was dead.
  • Also, an Air Cooler Fan is available since the cooling capabilities of the console by itself can not adequately cool itself. Overheating was the main cause for the failure of many Xbox consoles. The cooler is not too expensive but it would conflict with the aesthetics a little as well as take up more room.
  • You must buy a $30 adapter to use a keyboard and mouse with the system. I saw the device that does it and it looked like you could only connect the keyboard and mouse that had the old multi-pin connections, and not USB...am i wrong on this altogether? Not sure on how this keyboard/mouse stuff works. Don't know why anyone would care anyway.

PRICE:
Im not going to bother with working it all out now, but when you take certain things into consideration, you will find that price difference is there for a reason.
Firstly, the Xbox 360 is cheaper. Here are some reasons:
  1. To use wireless, which i do on my PS3, means you have to buy a $100 adapter for the Xbox (maybe it is cheaper now)
  2. The cooler which is necessary for older models, not sure about the new ones, could cost you about $40
  3. The PS3 features a blu-ray player. Normal players cost about the same price as a PS3 so this is a big one. Even though there is no way for the Xbox to play Blu-ray, take the HD DVD add-on drive for example. This would have cost about $200, maybe a bit less now.
Add these together and you get $340. Which i think more than compensates for the price difference. In my opinion, the price difference is well worth it. But maybe not if you dont want blu-ray. Even though i don't have Blu-ray movies, when they become cheaper, and i buy a Full HD TV it will get its use.

GRAPHICS QUALITY:
This is a big one that most people like to get into. Firstly, while i am a PS3 fan, i do believe that the graphics on the Xbox may be slightly better. That is my honest opinion. I've seen screen shots, and it looks like the Xbox has slightly better contrast of colour and definition. I must add that the difference is minimal, and both consoles are great. And you probably couldn't tell the difference unless I lined the two together on the exact same motions.
Even though many people get so passionate about this point, i hardly think it is point on which you would want to make the decision on console preference as they are both so similar.

ONLINE:
Apparently Xbox is better, but PS3 is free, which i would prefer. This is probably because I only use the online capabilities for online play, and it works fine for me.

TITLES:
At first PS3 lacked many titles. Now there are plenty, but im guessing there are still more for Xbox. Still, as both have plenty, it doesnt make much difference at this point. There are titles specific to certain consoles, such as Gears of War, Halo, Killzone 2 and Resistance. There are of course others as well. I know i like a bit of Ratchet and Clank. So both have some awesome games, and I wouldn't prefer one over the other for certain titles.

LONGEVITY:
We cant say for sure, but the Xbox was pron to malfunction resulting in death! Also the first Xbox is dead. Its rival the PS2 is still selling, with tonnes of games. The PS2 is the most sold console ever. If these trends are reflected in these consoles then the PS3 would be a more worthwhile investment since you would still be able to buy games/accessories for it. However this is just speculation.

LAST COMMENTS:

I guess it looks a bit skewed towards the PS3, but as you may have noticed, i couldnt comment on some areas for the Xbox. It would also be good to have some unbiased opinions from some people who own both, like Pinpower. Yes i remember that, you have mentioned it a couple of times :p For example, comparisons on graphics, online functions (is Xbox better online? If so, is it worth the cost?) as well as the menu styles. Which looks better? I think PS3 does, looks awesome with the waves and different themes. Also which is easier to navigate, from main menu as well as in game. And anything else I missed.

And an interesting point, did you know both consoles were initially sold at a loss? SONY and Microsoft planned to make their money on the peripherals, as well as try to gain market domination.

[edit] and it would be good if people gave reasons for why something is better, rather than just, "xxx is better" just for comparison.

PS3 FTW!

Disclaimer: sorry Twigley for not making a 100% serious thread on how to improve the game

Last edited:

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
360 is a better gaming machine, I have both I have games for both and I've played both intensively. I also started out with the PS3, not the XBox :p The games just run smoother, feel nicer, it plays & controls better, and the Xbox "dashboard" or whatever is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS3 one, likewise for the Xbox store. But well done with your essay ;)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I also think xbox live is a LOT better than Playstation Online. While I hate having to play for the service, it is a very good one.

Basically I don't like paying £40-50 for a game, part of that price being justified by the multiplayer features, when I have a further cost in paying Microsoft to connect me to other players.

And tbh, I rarely buy a game for its campaign mode. I nearly always forget campaign and hit xbox live, as it is so much fun :p

But not enough fun to warrant the sub, which is shameful IMO.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
And tbh, I rarely buy a game for its campaign mode. I nearly always forget campaign and hit xbox live, as it is so much fun :p

haha, ive had COD4 since Christmas, and only finished the campaign last night XD. I just couldnt help but play online multiplayer all the time.

HEY AZZER OR MODS!!! Can you pretty pretty please add a pol to the thread?
"Which console do you prefer:

1. PS3
2. Xbox
3. Neither
4. I own both and prefer PS3
5. I own both and prefer Xbox

It would be interesting to see what those who have both prefer

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I have both.

The XBOX 360 is MILES better than the PS3. Although you have to pay for XBOX live its well worth it as its far superior to PS3 online. The online marketplace where you can download demos and other content is great. Also you can now download whole games (such as halo 1, and some awesome arcade games such as gauntlet). As Azzer said the dashboard itself is just "nicer" and better designed.
Also from what ive seen the loading times on the xbox are alot better. Also, the first time you play a game you dont have to wait around for half an hour while it "installs" or w/e. I have HAWX for PS3 and it took a good 30 mins after putting the disk in before i could even start playing!

A few things that are nice about the PS3 is the inbuilt wireless, free online play and blu-ray playback.

I bought the PS3 basically to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but just any games that come out for the PS3 only.

I will admit that there isnt much in it (technically speaking), and alot of what makes me think the XBOX is better is just it "feeling" nicer. But everything just seems smoother, easier and generally better.

x

lavadog

Head Gardener
This is worst kind of spam thread ever on bushtarion forums. Who is fanboy blah blah blah.

Nintendo Wii FTW!

Co-Signed, who doesn't want to swing their arms in the air wildly while playing videogames?

Steve_God

Official Helper
Cheers for the reviews guys, as I've been contemplating getting one of these in the not too distant future :)

My only current question now is: does anyone know when the next generation consoles are 'expected' to be released?
Reason being, I've got a PS2 with far too many games than I've had time to play on yet, and instead of getting a PS3 or xBox360, I'm tempted to just keep playing the oodles of games I've already got, and wait for the next new consoles to come out :)

timtadams

Landscape Designer
BW, what the hell does fanboy mean. Thats ok i looked it up.

Fanboy is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

thanks wiki

Are you referring to me? Because i am hardly obsessed with the PS3. The whole point was to get some actual good opinions/comparisons on something which many people take way too seriously. Since its hardly possible with people who are totally biased. BTW, i have played my PS3 for like 4 hours in the last 5 weeks, hardly obsessive. Most of the points i mentioned is just stuff you pick up after using them...

The main reason i made it PS3 vs 360 was just because so many people like to argue about these two. Those who prefer the other consoles generally arent so up themselves that they think they now everything and that their console pawns the rest and need to tell everyone this.

But whatever, im up for it all. In fact i would prefer it if you directly flame me. Wait, does that make me an attention seeker? No, i just like firing people up. Its fun to get a reaction

This is worst kind of spam thread ever on bushtarion forums. Who is fanboy blah blah blah.

Nintendo Wii FTW!

Co-Signed, who doesn't want to swing their arms in the air wildly while playing videogames?

me, i would rather play sit on my arse and relax. If i want to start moving around i'll play soccer. You asked :p

Last edited:

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Cheers for the reviews guys, as I've been contemplating getting one of these in the not too distant future :)

My only current question now is: does anyone know when the next generation consoles are 'expected' to be released?
Reason being, I've got a PS2 with far too many games than I've had time to play on yet, and instead of getting a PS3 or xBox360, I'm tempted to just keep playing the oodles of games I've already got, and wait for the next new consoles to come out :)

I think that could be a good few years ;) Maybe like 4-5 or even more. I think that was the general time interval between console releases for the PS1 2 and 3. Just guessing. So it depends on how long you want to wait

Sorry for double post but you posted before i replied.

lavadog

Head Gardener
BW, what the hell does fanboy mean. Thats ok i looked it up.

Fanboy is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

thanks wiki

Are you referring to me? Because i am hardly obsessed with the PS3. The whole point was to get some actual good opinions/comparisons on something which many people take way too seriously. Since its hardly possible with people who are totally biased. BTW, i have played my PS3 for like 4 hours in the last 5 weeks, hardly obsessive. Most of the points i mentioned is just stuff you pick up after using them...

The main reason i made it PS3 vs 360 was just because so many people like to argue about these two. Those who prefer the other consoles generally arent so up themselves that they think they now everything and that their console pawns the rest and need to tell everyone this.

But whatever, im up for it all. In fact i would prefer it if you directly flame me. Wait, does that make me an attention seeker? No, i just like firing people up. Its fun to get a reaction

Nintendo Wii FTW!

me, i would rather play sit on my arse and relax. If i want to start moving around i'll play soccer. You asked :p

I was obviously being sarcastic. One day, I'll invent an emoticon for that.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Theres like zillion threads of PS3 vs xbox360 on web. Go to debate there for something as stupid as this. Thats what I was referring to with my fanboy crap.

Who cares what is best... go read some real deal about it and find out yourself.
PC > consoles
Wii > PS3&xbox360

End of story :p

saint1d

Head Gardener
Wii rocks, it is so much fun and is great socially.

If I wanted to lock myself in a room by myself, to be lonely and not talk to anyone else in real life, I'd buy a ps3 or xbox (or just continue playing Bushtarion) :p

Scorpio

Head Gardener
I'm an Xbox 360-owner and I'm quite satisfied about it (although it's a shame that you have to pay for it, indeed..). I just bought a UTP-cable which I have wired from my Router to my Xbox, so I didn't have to pay for a wireless network at all.
Moreover, I haven't encountered any of the ZOMG MY 360 is DYING-issues, although I have had that red circle thingy like 2 times (in 2 years). And yeah, it froze for like 5 times or so, but that happens with all consoles every once in a while :p

My TV is crap though, so I can't enjoy the full potential of my xbox' graphics. Are they really equal to / better than PS3 ( :eek: )
I always thought that PS3 has better graphics / specs than the Xbox, but imo it isn't worth the difference in price

So .. @ Steve: How good are you with a Xbox Controller + how much are you willing to pay? :)

Steve_God

Official Helper
So .. @ Steve: How good are you with a Xbox Controller + how much are you willing to pay? :)
Well one of my mates has got a 360, and after only 3 matches, I can now woop his ass on Call of Duty, and he's been playing it for months :p

And I'm willing to pay as little as possible - Ideally, I'd like to pay £100 for one, with games on top... but I could pay more if I really wanted one that much :p

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Theres like zillion threads of PS3 vs xbox360 on web. Go to debate there for something as stupid as this. Thats what I was referring to with my fanboy crap.

Who cares what is best... go read some real deal about it and find out yourself.
PC > consoles
Wii > PS3&xbox360

End of story :p

Sorry if i upset you BW, but like i said, the main reason for posting was to get some objective opinions on how they compare. If you read any of those zillion threads you'll find that they are useless for any good comparison. But if its too much for you to handle then thats ok.