happy fluffy crap

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Pin was dissmissive not you HG (well not entirely) you just posted before I could reply and then work took over before i could edit.

BW don't worry about me. Either HG or my gf(s) will help me out. I'm fine.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
well atsan had pm'd me just a friendly pm and it was all good, but here is the reply as it applies to this thread

atsanjose said:
bad hair day or what? :D

nope. have been very anti mod/op ever since they were announced. Wrong people, wrong time. And no, I didn't apply. Don't want it. The current mods are trying to force a version of 'their world' not the actual rules.
You have one mod post a warning, but that's ok we'll have another mod completely ignore the first mod and go and delete things. Then we'll have a 3rd mod come in and do infractions and warnings completely ignoring the actions of the first 2.
^^ happens frequently these days.

So pretty much you mods all have your heads up your asses. You all are tripping over yourselves so hard that you don't even wait to read if someone took care of something.

**added to this post** If a previous mod handled a situation but not to your satisfaction you go in and heavy hand it some more.

You want to deal out your own brands of justice based on personal feelings.

All of you should resign.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Garrett - all of that coming from the person that felt the need to create a new "anonymous" forum account with the sole purpose of abusing another forum member, and somebody who has flamed and trolled more than any other forum user since Age 5, I'm not sure you are the right person to be calling "foul" when it comes to moderator actions. In fact, given the above, I'd say you're simply making a stink because you're suddenly finding yourself unable to treat the forums like your own personal playground where you get to abuse anybody you wish and think you can get away with it by trying to wave the "Oh the mods are so terrible" flag, as if that will make you immune from the punishments.

I - and all mods - genuinely want feedback on new forum rules, and new moderation processes. If the users as a whole feel they are being too heavy handed in certain areas, please speak freely (but politely/constructively! :p) about it, I've already issues several messages to either individual mods, or all mods as a whole, as a direct result of player feedback. The forums aren't a dictatorship, whatever Garrett the rule-breaker might have you believe, but they are intended as a place where everybody can feel welcome, and where the air is generally a positive one, not a negative one full of elitist individuals "pwning newbs" verbally, so to speak. But likewise I don't want people thinking the mods are ruling with an iron fist and ruining people's fun - as long as the fun isn't at the expense of other forum users ;)

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
@Garrett
ah, now i see why you got so impersonal :p
just catching 2 birds with one stone or not ;)

awell all good then.

PS

you forgot the love! :D

Mattheus

Head Gardener
I was actually going to start a thread on pretty much the same thing. May as well just post here now. It's not just about the forums though, so hopefully this won't be deemed as off topic ;)

Along with the new staff, there seems to have been a general shift in certain policies, certain rules, and certain punishments. The overwhelming story I'm getting from the guys with the ePower is that they're trying to make bush a more "friendly" and "welcoming" place for any newbies who happen to stumble on this little corner of the internet.

While that sounds all well and good, I personally think it's been brought to the extreme, and is actually having the opposite effect to what they're trying to achieve.

There's an air of over political correctness now. I've been modded and recieved warnings on the forums because what I said *might* cause offence to someone. My post in the player pics thread saying "Come on you bunch of pussies, upload today!" was modded on the grounds of profanity. Apparently there's a chance someone out there is offended by that word, and might not realise it was said in a light hearted manner. Another post of mine was modded because it included the word 'shag'. Again, we have to cater to the lowest common denominator and make sure that no one could possibly be offended.
Those are just 2 personal examples of mine, but I know others have had similar experiences.

IRC has had similar incidents. Sometimes the slightest hint of negativity gets a "change the conversation or be kicked" line, even if it's not being discussed in an argumentative/flaming manner. I'm seeing "unofficial" warnings for words which have never been disallowed before, but ofc we must be welcoming to the new people, they might get offended.

I'm not saying that you should simply scrap all rules and declare it a free-for-all. Hell no. Believe it or not I think rules should be in place. I simply think the grip needs to be lightened.

The ironic things is, the new measures being taken to make bush a more welcoming place is actually having the opposite effect. Not a day or night goes by now without at least one argument or disagreement over a kick/ban/forum mod in #bushtarion. It's just creating a bad atmosphere. Not only among the older players, but the new ones too - the very people this is apparently all in aid of. I've seen just as much backlash from some of the new people. Doesn't exactly make for a very welcoming atmosphere does it?

You can't try and censor everything which might potentially offend someone. It's just serving to the lowest common denominator while stifling everything else. Please calm down guys :(

Last edited:

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
When the new staff were elected, there were no solid guidelines to follow (as they were either outdated with the current setup, or mostly just considered 'common sense' and didn't warrant a written document). As such, each mod (specifically - not 100% sure on ops) seems to have a completely different view on the way they should be conducting themselves.

This, however, is in the process of changing. I'm currently in talks with Azzer with regards to some solid rules that at least the mods have to follow. I do agree with some of your points though, Mattheus, but I can also understand why the current moderator team are acting the way they are.

To follow on from your examples; in general it's best to try and create a friendly atmosphere on the forums: this involves moderating certain words which might cause offense to some - remember, younger people play this game (and please don't get into the whole EULA, they-know-what-they're-getting-into palaver! This is not the place). If one word or phrase can be interpreted in a number of ways, one of which is bad, it's generally a good idea to modify it so that that scenario no longer exists.

In doing this, however, the moderators can also create tension and resentment towards themselves - which is obviously a bad thing, as if the moderators are despised, chaos will ensue.
It's often quite difficult for moderators to make decisions on such matters - especially if they have little to no experience moderating forums or interacting with people - without proper authoritative guidelines to follow.

I seem to remember when the staff for the old forums was chosen, a similar thing happened. Most moderators felt they needed to prove their worth, and so stuck to the rules like lies on cake, but relaxed over time. As the current team get more experienced with the inner workings of the system, they will become more relaxed in terms of rules/offenses/punishments, etc.

As always though, I welcome and encourage any criticisms (both good AND bad!) on anyone's moderating actions. If you feel you have a problem with a decision made by a moderator, please don't hesitate to PM any other moderator, or even Azzer himself if you feel the matter important enough. More often than not, simple discrepancies can be solved through conversation!
If you wish to comment and remain anonymous then I am happy to receive private messages that I will anonymise before presenting to the rest of the staff - alternatively take on a pseudonym and talk to someone on IRC!

f0xx

Landscape Designer
It's not just that. The other day at the start of the round I was making a joke about a certain guy with a lot of acres "assuming" it was JJ and I get a warning for that.

A day or two later there is a discussion with BlackWolf on IRC on the subject of spies and whether he uses them and we both get several warning from a certain OP when we were discussing it quite civilsed. No bad words, no foul language, no trolling. Warning were still coming though.

Then today there is this:

[23:52:51] <f0xx> lol ram.
[23:53:16] <CLem> fuxxxx
[23:53:33] <harriergirl> clem, please don't evade the spam filter that way :)
[23:53:41] <harriergirl> not spam, profanity
[23:54:20] <Recon|> is "f0xx" considered profanity?
[23:54:28] <harriergirl> no
[23:54:38] * harriergirl snuggles clemmy

-

After that I go and PM lil' Tana

[23:55:35] * f0xx slaps harriergirl around a bit with a large trout
[23:55:36] <f0xx> [23:53:16] <CLem> fuxxxx
[23:55:36] <f0xx> [23:53:33] <harriergirl> clem, please don't evade the spam filter that way :)
[23:55:36] <f0xx> [23:53:41] <harriergirl> not spam, profanity
[23:55:37] <f0xx> .
[23:55:38] <f0xx> see
[23:55:44] <f0xx> tht is what garrett is talking about
[23:55:51] <f0xx> when he is telling you to chill out :p
[23:56:04] <f0xx> fuxx is how CLem and Nickk usually call me.
[23:56:09] <f0xx> it is not "****s".
[23:58:13] <harriergirl> but the rest of the channel doesn' tknow that
[23:58:23] <harriergirl> and to new people looks like i'm letting him get away with something
[23:58:29] <harriergirl> it's not like I slapped his hand or kicked hm
[23:58:43] <harriergirl> I asked him nicely =P

<3 Tana.

This is the message I recieved for one of my infractions:
Hi,
Although this post isn't necessarily a direct flame, it could very easily incite such behaviour from other users...

I see mods and ops "reminding" us of their presense non-stop. It's like "hey, have in mind we are watching you, so don't think about doing something nasty".

Look around the forums and see how many threads have the "Keep it polite. No flaming or trolling please." words from Pin. It's just rediculous. Even at the slightest sight of disagreement and warnings start to come.

Take a chillax pill guys.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Like I said, as there are currently no direct guidelines for moderators, each mod is doing what they think suits the situation best.

Granted, many scenarios over the past few weeks could have been handled better, but this is all part of the learning curve.

I cannot speak for the operator team as I have no interest in IRC at the moment, but obviously do not hesitate to talk about any issues you have with any member of staff - we all have links to Azzer and can pass on any issues raised fairly easily.

To be honest though, f0xx, you're not exactly a model user! Within the first few weeks you were being a bit courageous in your posts, and most of the messages you were sent regarding your posts were justified - telling you to calm it down a bit. The quote you posted above was literally saying "be careful! We don't want you to get an infraction, so try and be a bit more careful with your posts in future".

The forum moderators are here to try and keep the peace - if that means reminding users every now and then that we are here, and we do notice when you step out of line, then so be it. You seem to be implying that it'd be better if the moderators did nothing until someone stepped way out of line - which is like telling the police force that they can only take action if a crime is committed, and that they're not allowed to patrol the streets.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Like I said, as there are currently no direct guidelines for moderators, each mod is doing what they think suits the situation best.

Granted, many scenarios over the past few weeks could have been handled better, but this is all part of the learning curve.

I cannot speak for the operator team as I have no interest in IRC at the moment, but obviously do not hesitate to talk about any issues you have with any member of staff - we all have links to Azzer and can pass on any issues raised fairly easily.

To be honest though, f0xx, you're not exactly a model user! Within the first few weeks you were being a bit courageous in your posts, and most of the messages you were sent regarding your posts were justified - telling you to calm it down a bit. The quote you posted above was literally saying "be careful! We don't want you to get an infraction, so try and be a bit more careful with your posts in future".

The forum moderators are here to try and keep the peace - if that means reminding users every now and then that we are here, and we do notice when you step out of line, then so be it. You seem to be implying that it'd be better if the moderators did nothing until someone stepped way out of line - which is like telling the police force that they can only take action if a crime is committed, and that they're not allowed to patrol the streets.

I like more the example that DS gave with the judge :)

But I am a very tolerant user, I will quietly sit while you are all warning me stuff, and then one day I will come to your house and strangle you with your cushion while you sleep :D

Joke ofcourse, now don't you all start infracting :)

<3

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Look around the forums and see how many threads have the "Keep it polite. No flaming or trolling please." words from Pin. It's just rediculous. Even at the slightest sight of disagreement and warnings start to come.

I'll hold my hands up and say i may have been a bit quick off the mark with some of my friendly warnings...BUT i only posted comments like this in situations where i didnt want to give an official or even unofficial warning to a specific user, so tried to just give a friendly reminder (often letting people off easy).

Anyway, like weeble and HG said, most of us are still finding out feet...if anyone has any constructive criticism i too would be more than happy to get feedback. :)

x

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
[23:52:51] <f0xx> lol ram.
[23:53:16] <CLem> fuxxxx
[23:53:33] <harriergirl> clem, please don't evade the spam filter that way :)
[23:53:41] <harriergirl> not spam, profanity
[23:54:20] <Recon|> is "f0xx" considered profanity?
[23:54:28] <harriergirl> no
[23:54:38] * harriergirl snuggles clemmy

F0xx baby, I find it hysterical that you still have problems with this^^ TBH, you cut out Clems response, Which was something like " Oh, sorry forgot what channel I was in...." He didn't seem to have a problem so why do you.

I want to ask an honest question though, What I don't understand is all the pushback that comes from a simple request. Not a ban or a kick or even an official warning - just a simple request to do better sometimes incites such a reaction from some of you that I really really wonder what you expect to happen? For everyone of you that is complaining that we are being too strict,there are people who are asking us nicely and respectfully to keep a tighter reign.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Breaker of rules turned super enforcer may be the problems people have with you HG.
I don't know - i'm not a psychologist but it's my best honest guess.

Alot of people in power, imo, need to have respect from the people they are controlling.

If Markb told me to stop IRC spamming - i would stop instantly without question.
If Martin told me to stop Forum Flaming - i would stop insantly without question.

*Shrug*

===
Edit:

It has happened in the past.

Just remember whan HkRandom got OP.
Was total uproar and nobody had much respect for him and he went inactive.
Alci got OP ... again people not happy ...

Maybe people take the "status" ingame and think that it has to be duplicated in the Op rooms etc (Which it shouldnt be like)
As i know people don't like their egos being damaged (Especially me).
And if i am being told not to talk in a channel i've been insanely active in for 8 years by someone who has played a few rounds, i don't have much respect for their warnings because of my online ego.
==

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
Breaker of rules turned super enforcer may be the problems people have with you HG.
I don't know - i'm not a psychologist but it's my best honest guess.

Alot of people in power, imo, need to have respect from the people they are controlling.

If Markb told me to stop IRC spamming - i would stop instantly without question.
If Martin told me to stop Forum Flaming - i would stop insantly without question.

*Shrug*

1) Show me where I've ever broken the rules. Yes my posts in the past have been harsh but never broken a rule. I never once received any formal warning, ban or otherwise .

2) Again you lie. Martin asked you as well as severl others the other day to stop spamming the channel and you continued.

You have a personal problem with me , fine, I dont' need everyone to like me, but you , like garrett and f0xx have no room to talk about the rules and who is and is not following them...

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
1) I've never received an official warning either.
I've still broke the rules.

2) Re-Read what i said. Forum Mod. Not IRC op.

3) I can talk about the rules all i like.
I am giving my opinion on how they should be followed and if you don't like it then whatcha gonna do?

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
Twigs, keep showing your arse baby

1) Markb is not a forum mod, yet you used him as an example.
2) Why would you show a mod respect if you wouldn't show him the same respect as an op.

You are now an admitted rule breaker. Thanks for the heads up

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've already been asking mods to reduce the public "Please keep this on thread" type posts etc., and that "friendly warnings" of this nature aren't really necessary - constantly "showing the power/flexing muscles" is not good.

Remember two things here;
1: Most of the mods/ops are new at this, and it's double-whammied with there being whole new forum rules, a new way of maintaining/managing things, new software (the infraction/warning/automated ban system is all new), so there's going to be a learning curve - but they are learning - there's a moderator forums and every day there's new discussion on whether mods should or should not act certain ways.
2: All staff are officially on a 2 month trial. If after this 2 month trial it seems a member of staff really isn't getting it, or really isn't fitting in, they'll be politely, no hard feelings, removed and go back to playing the game like anyone else!

I appreciate the feedback, and I think everybody needs constructive feedback on how to improve the jobs (not just simply shouting out "OMG YOU SUCK THIS SUCKS SACK THEM ALL" - ok there hasn't been anything that extreme, but anything along those lines is frankly unhelpful)... but while the mods are learning, I'd ask the users to show a little patience and give them a grace period too. Provide the feedback, give suggestions on things the moderators/ops could do that would allow the IRC room/forums to remain friendly for new players without the "iron fist" controlling everyone, and then take a deep breath, step back, and wait for things to filter through. I'm not ignoring any comments, I am constantly giving feedback to the mods, and the mods themselves are constantly talking to eachother about how to improve. If all that happens is the users post 10 posts a day every day basically saying "all the mods are power hungry nazis", then nothing's going to progress, the forums & IRC are going to go downhill, and possibly everybody's going to be out of a job and I might as well pack up shop.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Alci got OP ... again people not happy ...

*certain* people unhappy. ;)

I think the Staff were a bit heavy handed to start but I do understand why and even how it happened so while i'm not always pleased about some of what's happened (tana can attest to a few blow ups we've had regarding the game recently) i do have some sympathy for both sides here.... Some staff members are improving, others are not, but that is what the trial period is for. The 'visible' presence of moderating needs to be reduced significantly 'Keep this topic polite etc etc'... Yes we bloody well *know* that. If you're going to edit it, just edit it, leave a little note as to why, but don't make a big huge post; just something nice and subtle.

The service industry metaphor is that the best service is the kind you barely notice; same goes with the moderating and Operator discipline here; except for the occasional case of making an example of someone/some rule breaking 'pour enourager les autres'.

I'm willing to give the staff a little more time to get settled in and get accustomed to the 'less is more' approach and we'll see how things get handled then.

As for not respecting someone simply because they are new in authority; that's just beyond pathetic and inexcusably lax. Grow up children, most of you who are in your late teens to early twenties if not older, you should at least know *how* to behave, even if you don't do it all the time. So let's put all our toys back into our prams, shall we?

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
You complain about bad game.
I say give the game more time.

Yeah. not to mention it's *still* on five minute ticks. Pathetic..... So much for a great and glorious Age 5 lol.

We complain about bad mods.
You say give the mods more time.

So please don't tell us to put our toys back in the pram about something Alci ;)

What i am reading into this is ...

Mods where accepted on the basis that they MAY become good.
Not that they where ready?
But is anyone really ready?
And would a Mod really get the sack for someone else to have a chance?
Or what?