Do people even read rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
This is so frustrating.
Azzer makes very nice rules for forums and what happens?
No one reads those! I have seen so many break of new rules in only few days that it almost makes me cry.

Things like Recruitment is for ALLIANCES ONLY! (In case its not then Rules are wrong and should be updated) So why theres players posting? Very hostile nature of some posts etc. How hard it is to read those darn rules?

Isnt that why we have rules so people would follow them?

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
You have to be aware that it's only been.. what, three days now since people have had access to the forums. Granted, people should be checking the rules when they come to a new set of forums, but for the most part, people just assume that the rules are the same as the last board.

Once the moderator team has been set up, the rules will start to be taken somewhat seriously and normality will resume!

Edit: Forgot to mention, Azzer isn't a dictator. He prefers to run this place as a friendly community, therefore the rules aren't there to be followed absolutely 100% by everyone on penalty of death, they're there to set standards and to try and keep some degree of decorum about the place.

Last edited:

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Alliance Recruitment:
14.1 - This forum is for recruitment purposes only. Each alliance is allowed one active thread per round, and no bumping is allowed.
14.2 - Relevant news updates for your alliance will be accepted, but no more than one every week.

It's not a forum used by robots BW. Rules are there to set standards but you can imagine those won't cover each and every small detail.
According to that rule if you make a recruitment post now and it gets filled in a couple hours you can't post recruiting closed until next week. I think the main purpose of the rules is to set a decent behaviour inside the forum instead making this a police area quoting each small paragraph you might have broken from forum rules.
Azzer ain't lawyer and probably doesn't have the time to write rules with such description that rules will always be right and will cover everything.

Mattheus

Head Gardener
Tbh I'm lazy. I took one look at the rules and thought, feck it - can't be arsed to read all that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind reading long posts when they're of a subject that interests me. But not that. I doubt there's anything earth shatteringly new in there. Most rules are common sense.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
So what...players arent allowed to post in the Recruitment section anymore??
i.e
"Hi, im looking for an alliance for this coming round...etc...etc.."

If that is how it is now its stupid...

x

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Azzer said:
Alliance Recruitment:
14.1 - This forum is for recruitment purposes only. Each alliance is allowed one active thread per round, and no bumping is allowed.
14.2 - Relevant news updates for your alliance will be accepted, but no more than one every week.
I think you misinterpreted those rules, BlackWolf. They are slightly ambiguous, however, it doesn't say that individual players can't post their own threads.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
Blackwolf for gods sake take a break stop being such a miserable old git. It used to be slightly funny but it's just annoying and depressing now.
If 1 user could be removed I would pick you without a doubt you bring such a downer with EVERY post you make.

Calm the hell down.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The rules need to be edited to clarify that individuals may post their own threads if they are looking for an ally.... or perhaps better yet, I think I will add a sub-forum inside the recruitment section for such individuals - so that the main recruitment forum is filled with alliances, to make it easy and clear for those wanting to read alliance recruitment posts.... and alliances looking for new members know to look in to the sub-forum to find individuals looking for an ally.

In fact yes, I think the sub-forum for individuals seeking an ally is probably the better idea.

Shadow

Harvester
just to anwser your question BW since you sent me a psot about posting a recruitment thread...no i dont read the rules :D

easyier to break them to give you this little bit of joy in your day ;)

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
well i dont actually see why unless people are like just trying to bump post counts, i clearly wasnt, just making it so my thread had a new post, is there no way to add a link to repost your thread? so it doesnt give you a new post just makes it so that the thread stands out with the new post symbol?
i dno sometimes updating recruitment threads are needed, like we went from having 19 mrembers to 20 to 19 in a short space of time

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
well i dont actually see why unless people are like just trying to bump post counts, i clearly wasnt, just making it so my thread had a new post, is there no way to add a link to repost your thread? so it doesnt give you a new post just makes it so that the thread stands out with the new post symbol?
i dno sometimes updating recruitment threads are needed, like we went from having 19 mrembers to 20 to 19 in a short space of time

It defeats the point of forums in that case - you're looking at it from your own personal perspective, eg, you want to "advertise" so you want to force people to keep looking at your same thread over and over.

Look at it from a forum user's perspective - the forum works by marking threads read, and when there is a new post/new thread, it's marked as unread, so you know there could be something new you haven't seen before to see - and while you can simply click "mark all forums read", many do like to manually check every thread themselves just incase they miss anything interesting. So if another user could keep forcing their thread back to the top and marked as unread, without actually adding anything new to the subject and without actually replying to what somebody else had put on the thread... then... it defeats the point!

We won't be grossly strict with a bit of gentle bumping on certain forum areas, but we'll take the bumps in context, we'll make sure the bumps always at least try to add something new to the topic in question, and we'll only step in and moderate if somebody's bumping becomes outright over-the-top, spammy, or likewise negative.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
So if another user could keep forcing their thread back to the top and marked as unread, without actually adding anything new...

Well he WAS adding something new, i.e. saying that his alliance has a spot open. He was not posting just for the sake of bumping the thread.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well he WAS adding something new, i.e. saying that his alliance has a spot open. He was not posting just for the sake of bumping the thread.

Yes, his posts/thread were unedited/allowed, I didn't remove any of the bumps in question or give any forum infractions for them etc. I'm just giving my general stance on the general subject of bumping, and also suggesting that Cyrus consider what other forum users might expect/want from a forums, when it comes to the idea of "bumping" in general! :D

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Yeah, its not really "bumping" if an alliance leader posts in a slightly old recruitment thread that he once again needs members, if anything he is making a more efficient use of the forums by simply updating an old thread rather than making a whole new one.

But with useless spammy bumps i agree with Azzer.
x

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Yes, his posts/thread were unedited/allowed, I didn't remove any of the bumps in question or give any forum infractions for them etc. I'm just giving my general stance on the general subject of bumping, and also suggesting that Cyrus consider what other forum users might expect/want from a forums, when it comes to the idea of "bumping" in general! :D

Aye, I am mentioning this because the person who created this thread (BlackWolf) is whining against people who do not read the rules, while he is the one breaking them.

It is funny how he keeps quoting the rules while at the same time he misinterprets them.

Status
Not open for further replies.