Football manager 08/09

tomtree

Head Gardener
i have 08 and have played it a lot! am considering getting 09 once my exams are over, is it worth it? what are the differences, etc.

cheers.

Tim

Harvester
i have 08 and have played it a lot! am considering getting 09 once my exams are over, is it worth it? what are the differences, etc.

cheers.

I think the biggest change is the 3D match engine. Lets you "watch" the game as its being played, and you really get to understand and see how your players are interacting with each other on the pitch.

Aside from that though, it's the usual new stuff; everything remains pretty much the same, but updated & refreshed slightly. Same with the players - there are a bunch of new wonderkids to scout but all the players are pretty much the same, with some small refinement.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
I used to rock at the old fm .. I seem to be doing quite bad on this new one :S the match engine clearly has been changed but I just can't seem to get to winning streaks :) .. which is good ,cause now the game is harder and respectively more interesting so I recommend you give it a try

Tim

Harvester
You need to work on your tactics. There are a few articles online (search for fm2009 tactics) which explain the main components of a team and how to set up an effective tactic, based on the players you have.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Yeah, I've read lots of those ,but the game still is hard :)

tomtree

Head Gardener
well i just started the game and all three of my strikers got injured (in matches, not training) during the first 2/3 weeks, as did the extra striker i bought as a replacement. not only that, but they are all long term injuries of 1 month minimun! such bad luck...

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
get someone on loan or take the best striker out of the youth/reserves squad and make a match tactic using only one striker and more powerful midfield

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
well i just started the game and all three of my strikers got injured (in matches, not training) during the first 2/3 weeks, as did the extra striker i bought as a replacement. not only that, but they are all long term injuries of 1 month minimun! such bad luck...

Are you running the latest patch (9.2.0)? 9.0.0 has known problems with ridiculous injuries so make sure you update your game. If you're playing through Steam, the game should auto update, if not, get the patch from: http://www.footballmanager.com/index.php?p=patch

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
I haven't played yet on 9.0.2 , playing at 9.0.1 and I will probably switch directly to 9.0.3 which should be released this month and should be better cause of all the transfers

tomtree

Head Gardener
Are you running the latest patch (9.2.0)? 9.0.0 has known problems with ridiculous injuries so make sure you update your game. If you're playing through Steam, the game should auto update, if not, get the patch from: http://www.footballmanager.com/index.php?p=patch

cheers, downloading it now.

im not running the game through steam.... do you know if there is anyway i can change to that i get the update for free, etc? i bought the game disc from a store, and then chose the other option, not steam...

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
cheers, downloading it now.

im not running the game through steam.... do you know if there is anyway i can change to that i get the update for free, etc? i bought the game disc from a store, and then chose the other option, not steam...

The easiest way would be to uninstall the game and reinstall it but choose the Steam option this time (I think that'll work anyway :p). You shouldn't lose any saved games etc as they will be stored in your Documents/My Documents folder.

tomtree

Head Gardener
kk, i might try that.

i have now downloaded and run the patch, is there anyway to make sure it has worked? cos i havnt noticed any differences.