• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Sleep Mode

saint1d

Head Gardener
When people talk of winning alliances, I think a lot of it is down to players being contactable by phone/irc/whatever, meaning that alliances that don't want to put in that "serious" commitment which affects us all in our real lives, end up having players getting zeroed every five mins. This has a knock on effect on the number of alliances contending for the top spot, as a lot of people out there don't want to have to commit to being woken up every night when they go to bed.

The solution is obvious, to hit sleep for 8 hours, but very few people decide to take this option due to the loss in seed production.

How would people feel about having an enforced 8hr sleep period every 24hrs, we get to choose what time, so basically we hit sleep then hit the sack? In order to compensate for loss in seed production, boost their value or something. I anticipate that some people may say this will be bad at round start as some players stay up for 24hrs (Asmo a couple of rounds back was insane :p) , but it's just not possible for "most" people to commit to this.

Thoughts please...

Lupus

Head Gardener
Re: Sleep Mode

how would this work for different time zones? As i could see it getting very boring for Aussie if everynight the whole of bush shut down.

i think the easiest way to reduce the amount of activity required by members of alliances is to increase the size of the alliance, it works for other games y can't it work for bush?

Khris

Pruner

they keep making it smaller alliances... now u want bigger??

the problem i see with this is like Lupus said, be very boring... if you are Aussie, have the reason you like the game is because everyones offline during ur prime time. If everyone is just always in sleep when offline... thats half the fun of the game. If you play ranged routes like TL or RPG... you have 1/3 less chance of catching targets offline. lame.

I see the good inspiration behind this, but takes all the fun out for everyone else. :p

saint1d

Head Gardener

Well how about when we register an id we register a timezone?

Or within 24 hrs of 1st tick you have to hit sleep for 8 hrs. Then so long as you hit sleep within 24hrs of 1st tick out of sleep mode.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Perhaps institute a sliding cap on seed production in sleepmode? I.e. higher value = worse cap on seed harvesting, but lower value = higher percentage recouped. Surely that would help... The numbers would need some working out but the idea is feasible....

That would limit the usefulness of sleepmode for higher ranks while encouraging it's use lower down.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Alcibiades said:
Perhaps institute a sliding cap on seed production in sleepmode? I.e. higher value = worse cap on seed harvesting, but lower value = higher percentage recouped. Surely that would help... The numbers would need some working out but the idea is feasible....

That would limit the usefulness of sleepmode for higher ranks while encouraging it's use lower down.

good idea actually...i like it alot! Like you say it would take some thought to work out how the limits would change and at what range but i do like the sound of this...

saint1d

Head Gardener

I like the idea of what you're saying, but initially I'd just like to see the need for being contactable 24/7 taken out of the game. Or should I say my wife does when my mobile goes off at 3am :lol:

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

saint1d said:
I like the idea of what you're saying, but initially I'd just like to see the need for being contactable 24/7 taken out of the game. Or should I say my wife does when my mobile goes off at 3am :lol:

not gonna happen my friend ;)

my roommates used to get furious that i gave out the house phone number to random europeans ;) and when it would ring in the middle of the night. then i got my own house!

saint1d

Head Gardener

But if we were forced into having to hit sleep once every 24hrs we would only have to be contactable 16hrs a day. All I'm saying is that this is surely a lot easier for most people?

I realise that we have this option at present, yet very few people actually use it. I think the reasoning behind this is not wanting to be called a scorequeen, but a lot of alliances would surely be better off hitting sleep if they aren't contactable imo

Terrakan

Harvester

saint1d said:
I think the reasoning behind this is not wanting to be called a scorequeen, but a lot of alliances would surely be better off hitting sleep if they aren't contactable imo

SexualDeviants did that this round as most of us were uncontactable for one night

wasnt really that benificial as we all died as soon as we were out of sleep but you get the idea

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Terrakan is right, sleep mode here denote a weakness, and the smart/bored/watchful people in bushtarion will watch when you went in and then monitor possible times you get out so as to butcher you :p

It would be okay to organize if it became a ritual, i.e. every night when you were done you hit sleepmode for 8 hours and logged out. However, this would lead to huge dead zones of the game for certain timezone players etc.

I like the thought of making sleepmode more of a palatable option because i, too, dislike being woken up very early or late or disturbed when i'm out, at class, at home, at dinner. Being contactable 24/7 really does mean that, and i'm always a bit on edge :p Would be nice to have a time during the day where i could truly relax lol This might incur a bit of stagnation in the game, but at least now it would be chosen, rather than enforced.

Personally i think my idea, with modification, is the way to go, that way sleepmode still works, the top doesn't benefit too badly, and stress is gone.

Then again, sleepmode, unless the whole ally does it, just weakens you overall. Hmm, a tricky situation.

Illumination

Head Gardener

I still think that alliances should be given the option of sleep mode for a certain time period per day (even if its only 2 hours!). Leader hits alliance sleep, no one can access their acct for 2 hours. It doesnt create that much of a dead zone- players still have to be there when the alliance comes out, or the alliance gets slaughtered...but alliances can use it if they choose to cover 2 hours of the day (helping with the inactive hours that are increasing as less coverage is available as the aussie and asian population decreases). Of course, there would be little (or even no) seed production during this time and if an alliance did it the same hours every night, it would become easy to send at targets right before sleep mode became affective and rape the entire alliance as its undefendable.

Khris

Pruner

one problem i see....

my prime play time is when most euros go to sleep... so all the good targets are hitting sleep right as i get on? Isnt the contactability thing PART of being diehard bushy? and to be honest should be dealing with the alliance so u dont HAVE to get woken up. Waking up is a choice... u got injuries... 35% isnt that bad :p

Illumination

Head Gardener

I doubt most alliances would opt it...and even if a few did, there would still be plenty of targets as they could only be off for a short amount of time...plus, currently...almost the entire playerbase is solo:p

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

Alcibiades said:
my roommates used to get furious that i gave out the house phone number to random europeans ;) and when it would ring in the middle of the night. then i got my own house!

I so remember talking to a chick who not so happily informed me that it was 4 am and was I really calling about a game... 8)

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

I've only read the first post properly here, so my apologies if I'm repeating anything that has already been said.

Firstly, I don't like sleep mode in general. I think it's a pretty cowardly thing to do and implies scorequeeny tendencies.

Secondly, if sleep mode was enforced then it would be even more difficult to catch people offline. And along with injuries and AR, this would make killing people effectively impossible. And I quite like killing people. It seems like a fairly important factor for a war game.

So, in summary, I don't like this idea.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

harriergirl said:
Alcibiades said:

I so remember talking to a chick who not so happily informed me that it was 4 am and was I really calling about a game... 8)

She was an evil girl when she got angry. i was assaulted by her that night, came into my room and beat me with the phone :(

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer

if you do not want to be woken up. then dont give out contact details. if you care about your troops and score but still dont want to be woken up. hit sleep. It will penalise you, but surely if you care about troops and score it is better to simply lose 1/3rd production a day and live, than lose your troops and your land.

If you are worried about sleeping because your allaince leader wants you to be able to be contactable to defend or run and take a land hit. then you are in a semi serious alliance. if he expects you not to sleep. then he should be able to ensure you are protected as best as possible in 90% of the cricumstances.

P_I

Weeder

The problem with willymchillybillys opinion that allies should be able to defend is defeated by the lack of a law/fame system or AR. When large alliances (YS vs SB, or SB vs. VVM this round) bash an alliance at about 40% value, the idea that the alliance should be able to send defense to offline players is gone. These attacks have been the norm this round, not something that have happened in 10% of the attacks.

Sleep mode is one option in this case, but as the game is now, being contactable is the best way to survive. I've had my stereo cranked up and highlights playing at ungodly hours all this round, and it has kept me pretty much alive.