open tree is a pworld option. already exists :p

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Re: Suggestions for mini-round

hey who cares, keep it coming

Illumination

Head Gardener

I like age 3:) Old times for the sake of the old timers! I dont like open tech trees. I have always hated those pws.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Aye open tech trees always lead to people massing/devving the same ****. Where's the fun?

Garrett

Landscape Designer

*sigh* you missed the point of the suggestion, not that we could have all techs open but that only the researches would be available so you could get to your bribing units. and that only bribing (bribing/converting) units be allowed in the mini round and let everyone have fun with that :p

otherwise yes open trees are quite 'ghey'

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Garrett said:
*sigh* you missed the point of the suggestion, not that we could have all techs open but that only the researches would be available so you could get to your bribing units. and that only bribing (bribing/converting) units be allowed in the mini round and let everyone have fun with that :p

otherwise yes open trees are quite 'ghey'

I didn't miss the point i just didn't need to address it because i thought it sensible and thus clearly knew no one else would. ;)

but only bribing units could be fun indeed. or utterly boring, one or the other hehe

Chezz

Harvester

I'm not sure what happened in Age 3, since I only joined 3 rounds ago. Could someone enlighten me on the 'imbaness' of Age 3...

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

i was definately a fan of age 3...but i think my judgement is clouded by other things that made the game better back then rather than the actual game itself (bigger playerbase, more alliances)...however i miss ANAPs, l/f and a bounty system that actually worked...

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

I was thinking of some combinations of things for this 6 week round and after discussion with charlie / azz / dems and being under the influence alot .. ( ;) ) i thought of a few cool things to try out + maybe consider for the future.

Alliance Size

Currently we have the situation of 1 alliance of 15 that plays against maybe 2/3 more alliances of 15 ...
You might have some resistence but alot of it gets boring and heavily time consuming combined.
So what i was thinking is the following change:

* LOWER alliance limits to 10.
* Somehow (I'm not sure on what basis this would work) have it so that each "Alliance" has two "Wings".

Before i continue ill show an example.
Example - 1 week into the round: (Fictional alliance names)

Alliance Valuation Rankings Page

[1] The_Force
[2] Unbeatable
[3] Hiroshi
[4] Jankio
[5] Epedemic
[6] KingZ
[7] Herpes
[8] Concordium
[9] Unleashed
[10] PowerRangers

Here effectively you would have 10 "Wings" but maybe Hiroshi and Jankio are the same alliance .. and The_Force and Herpes are also the same alliance...

But why?
Well i think it would make it a lot less stale in the rankings as you are competing at such a slight difference the whole way through ...
It would make it harder to run away with the round and keep the fighting going the whole way through.

How would you do it?
How would smaller alliances know how to do this?
Can it be made simple?

I know of one way you could do it.
--

Method

* Leader creates "Alliance". In this case let's call it - Interlude.
* Leader names his two "Wings". In this case let's call it - Doormat and Kinky.
* Members who join type in "Interlude" and their password into the box JUST LIKE NORMAL. (Easy for beginers)
* Members are then allocated into the two wings (Not sure on how this would work yet?)

So basically it's just like now but you would be seperated.
* Keep politics the same, but only show inc screens seperate for both wings? (Or do you keep it together?)

Just an idea...

---

Other options in this shorter round

* NOT open techs ... Jesus how do you steal land etc when everyone will tech gurus or sleepys .. :/ I know its for fun but it isnt very fun if this happens (Mass bashing needed?)
* 5 min ticks is gonna be damn hard to keep up with :p But not too bad an idea.
* Try something with the 10 man x 2 alliance thing i put above..
* Not 5 man ... i would rather go solo if AR is still on ... if 5 man then take AR off and lets have 200 alliances ... maybe some beter ingame recruitment system.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

So you rank the wings individually. Would their be another ranking system for the alliance as a whole? But i like the idea

On another note, at least for this mini-round get rid of pure solo, maybe. Then no one is locked in what they do. If pure solo you cant join an alliance for the rest of the round unless you reset your ID. This way someone who might want to join an alliance later on still has the chance. This is what happened to me.

Part of the reason no-one is an alliance is because solo is too easy and also because some people dont bother trying to join an alliance and dont know what its like. If no-one is p-solo then everyone has the chance at least to join an alliance.
Psolo also makes being solo more attractive because of the benefits that come with being psolo.

timthetyrant

Head Gardener

I reckon the BOTS should be removed so the only players playing are players. Or on the other hand incresing the difficulty setting on the BOTS (if it can be done) and put them all into one alliance. This would put everyone else on the back foot as the BOTS would have the largest and most active alliance. It would definitely make survival a challenge for everyone, and the Bots could finall y dish out some damage for all the oppresion noobs, like me, have placed on them. WE wouldnt really be competing with each other any more, we would be fighting for survival. Defense, Uraaah!

timtadams

Landscape Designer

Yeah, maybe we could have like 'Big Bots' that could actually attack some good players :D Maybe an alliance of 'Big Bots' that could compete with other good alliances, and they wouldn't pawn smaller ones, maybe it could help the game be fairer, give the new players a hand.

But i wouldn't get rid of the bots that are already there, they are good targets for the lower ranked players or new players who aren't sure on what they're doing yet.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

Why should someone be punished for playing well?
That's just another way to drive away players.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

Not too punish people, just for the sake of being there. I mean they could be there, and alliances could attack them if they wanted. They wouldnt be there to pawn alliances. Just like the bots that are there now: they're there, and they can attack people, but they dont pawn people, and they can get attacked.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

Huh?
If people are going to "pawn" them then they are just normal bots..?
You are suggesting more small bots?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

timthetyrant said:
I reckon the BOTS should be removed so the only players playing are players. Or on the other hand incresing the difficulty setting on the BOTS (if it can be done) and put them all into one alliance. This would put everyone else on the back foot as the BOTS would have the largest and most active alliance. It would definitely make survival a challenge for everyone, and the Bots could finall y dish out some damage for all the oppresion noobs, like me, have placed on them. WE wouldnt really be competing with each other any more, we would be fighting for survival. Defense, Uraaah!

All you would achieve is turn them into even bigger mass farms than they are because you would rob them of AR and i'm not sure azzer wants to code a mini bot ally in the space of 10 days for a one time round event. I suspect it would be a little harder than just 'putting them all in one ally'.

besides which, i like bots... they don't really affect gameplay and are an excellent source of land early on. And no possible bot ally could beat the top human ally. At least, not in my opinion.... certainly not one coded in 10 days :p

timtadams

Landscape Designer

I agree (you will find most of my comments are speculative, and my opinions are bound to change ;) ), I was for the idea, but now, not so much. Everyone's opinion helps.

Anyway, i think the mini-round would be a great opportunity to trial different ideas that may be able to be implemented in later rounds. Like making alliance play more of an advantage. Maybe the recruitment system should be changed, to make it easier, or more obvious. I'll bet there are players who havent considered joining an alliance, or bothered to try. Maybe add a link to the side menu bar that says something like, join alliance. That could take you to a page where you could enter an alliance, and have a search for available alliances on that page.
Just an idea, i know its similar to whats there, but having the link there may encourage people to join. Maybe do something to make it stand out, like maybe just stick it right under overview. It would be a small change, but who knows, it may work a bit.

Also, I go to the alliance page and you can't see what anyone has got, like the points, everything is blank, and it says zero for everything about wars (is this cause its 'hidden' like the points, or has there actually been no wars?) This is VERY boring, why would i want to join an alliance when you cant even see how you alliance compares to the rest, why would you want too compete for something when you dont even know what you need to achieve? (I believe this has something to do with HQ developments? Sorry, 1st round, havnt been in alliance yet)
I reckon blow all this secrecy rubbish and allow everyone to see what your points and acres are. I notice you can see We_Shall_Portal's stats, is this cause they dont have the development or cause they ollow others to see it?
Maybe the alliances can work it out, i dunno, but solos dont have a clue whats going on and therefore they dont have a clue on what they are missing out on.

Another idea, including no hiding stats, is that alliance rankings are shown for the world every time the person signs in. There could also be posts that update people whats been going on with alliances (with wars ect)(maybe alliance leaders could make the posts or elected people) I reckon this would make alliance seem more fun to the newer people. It may entice people to join an alliance just to get involved with the fun.

Arrr, i had another idea which i forgot :(

Oh yeah, what if there were separate awards for alliances? For example you have awards like 'Most Dangerous' for total damage done to enemies, why not have ones for alliances? I think the more incentives we add to alliance play, the more players we could get into it. And with awards alliances which arent that good could have the goal of achieving a certain award or two, this way they still have something to play for, apart from the many hours of socializing and fun :D

Terrakan

Harvester

timtadams said:
Oh yeah, what if there were separate awards for alliances? For example you have awards like 'Most Dangerous' for total damage done to enemies, why not have ones for alliances? I think the more incentives we add to alliance play, the more players we could get into it. And with awards alliances which arent that good could have the goal of achieving a certain award or two, this way they still have something to play for, apart from the many hours of socializing and fun :D

i do like the sound of this idea it sounds interesting