Where do we draw the line?

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
Follow me here, and see what you think.

(U.S. examples by the way, maybe the laws are different in your country)

Society has drawn the line for the age of adulthood at 18, arbitrarily really, because nobody is all of a sudden more mature on their 18th birthday. Following this, the age of consent is generally considered 18. According to society, if you have sex with someone under 18 (and you aren't very close in age), you're a pedo. Congratulations.

Disregarding the law, would you consider someone a pedophile if they had sex with a 17 year old? How about 16? How about 14? Does the older person's age matter? Is it different if the older person is 19, compared to 21, or 25, or 30?

And what about just checking out? Is one sick if he drools over a 16-year old's booty? What about 14? Does it matter that nothing is actually happening (no sexing up is going on), and it's just looking? What if fantasizing is involved? Masturbation?

Discuss.

Kariko

Planter
Re: Where do we draw the line?

Ok... little disturbing man, if your 19 fair enough check out a 16 year old. 14 is bad enough you need to wait till she's gone through pubity mate. But I'm only saying 16 because in the UK it's legal to have sex at the age of 16. Anyway i would put any thoughts of this out of your head, unless you've been charged for being a pedo then you need help.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

I've seen 13 year old girls who have bigger boobs than a 30 year old woman and suck better than them too (so I've heard for this one). What does it matter that she still doesn't know how much the square root of 4 is? If she looks good and sucks good and doesn't talk much when I take her out from time to time why wouldn't you do it with her? Because someone tells you that it's not right? I've had sex with quite younger girls but I was not 18 at that time too so you can't really call me a peado. But I guess some people haven't done this in their early years so sometimes they drool and 14 year old girls while they are 22 (for example). Don't worry, it's normal, I drool too, but when she starts talking and I "try" to have a normal conversation it just ends there.

I guess that is where I draw the line. You can get quite a good impression of most people's maturity just when you talk to them, no matter how old they are. If it doesn't sound good, then just don't.

Illumination

Head Gardener

When I was 13, I dreamed, fantasized and obsessed over my brothers 19 year old wrestling coach...*sigh*-Zane! He never did take me on a passionate camping trip and make love to me in a tent like I thought for sure was my destiny :(

Does that make me a geriophile? :p

Tim

Harvester

Pedophilia is in fact only applicable to prepubescent children (i.e. those who have not yet passed puberty). The media may distort this view, and class those who are attracted to any form of "minor" as a pedophile, however this is factually incorrect.

I think the war against such activities with minors, even those in their teens, is quite a strange one. Back in the olden days, children got married really young and it was accepted. Society has changed though and now it defines an arbitrary age at which people are defined as being able to make an informed decision as to which activities they wish to take part in. This age is 16 in Scotland, however it will vary worldwide. Some 16 year olds are mature enough to make this decision, some are not. Some 13/14 year olds may be mature enough to decide, and conversely some 18 year olds may not be.

I would not knowingly break these laws myself, however this is more because society would label me as a molester and I would be chased to the ends of the earth by such trashy tabloids as News of The World etc. I would not however look down on someone for having sex with a 14 year old, unless there were other circumstance, i.e. rape/drink was involved etc - in which case that is an entirely different issue.

And as to "checking out", "just looking" or even "masturbating" over someone under the age of consent, then I think the term "thought crime" covers this perfectly. For the record, I disagree with the concept of thought crime. :)

Lukey

Harvester

Was waiting for Tim to reply.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

where do we draw the line?

here

You

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Girls

:D

Kariko

Planter

Tim said:
I would not however look down on someone for having sex with a 14 year old, unless there were other circumstance, i.e. rape/drink was involved etc

I was agree to an extent, depends at what age you are to be drawing the line and i would say if the girl isn't at the legal requirement then don't sexual involve yourself in anyway. A while back i knew a 13 year old who had an 18 year old "boyfriend", she got pregnant and had to have an abortion. The man was immoral and ran away, actions like this should never be faced to a girl who doesn't know responsibility at that age.

Bobbin

Head Gardener

(your age / 2 ) + 7 = alright.

ish.

Depends on the people... I've slept with people under 16 and over 16 at different points in my life... sometimes up a a 5 year age gap, and you know what... It depends on the person.

There is no line, there is no black and white, there is just common sense.

Alvestein

Garden Designer

lets say for example, 1/2 + 7 = 7.5. i'd be worried if a 7 and a half year old was having sex with a 1 year old!

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

how many 1 year olds do you know that are sexually active?

Ranzou

Harvester

How many 19 year olds do you know that would think Hiuey was being serious? (Miley) Cyrus would ;)

Alvestein

Garden Designer

Cyrus said:
how many 1 year olds do you know that are sexually active?

off subject*

i like Miley Cyrus's new song, i know she is really annoying and i do hate her *not really but w/e* but it's really quite a catchy song ^^

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Always operate on the 2 year age gap...but that starts at 14 i'd say...

If you are 16 and under i think IN SOME CASES its not too bad to be going out with/have some sexual contact with a 14 year old...similarly if you are 17 and 15...etc...

an 18 and a 14 year old is just wrong in my eyes...but im a child of modern society...so meh!

When i was 15 a girl in my glass was going out with a 22 year old...now 7 years isnt worth mentioning once your older...but apart from any moral issues you know the guy is going to be a **** if he has to get with 15 year olds when he is 22...

:)

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Bobbin said:
(your age / 2 ) + 7 = alright.
This is the "creep" rule I've always thought worked very well, ie what age gap would be considered socially acceptable, and what age gap would be "creepy". I believe I first saw it in an online comic, possibly XKCD or Cyanide & Happiness... probably xkcd... but I really think it works! And I'd definitely apply it to any classification of a relationship I considered "pedophilic", which is more a social term than a technical (ie strict limits/rules) term in this day and age :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

that rule has been around long before those comics but good effort at getting the credit where it's due.