nobreakspace (Official community resource - News/Updates)

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Re: nobreakspace

Dematto said:
I find it funny that some people claim to be better than others because they don't need 'some silly extension'.

even funnier that no one made that claim!

Garrett

Landscape Designer

ego obviously, if anything else was any longer i wouldn't fit!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Garrett said:
Alcibiades said:
i really do think the tool deserves a reevaluation in terms of whether or not it makes a big enough difference amongst the playerbase to justify it being paid for. It seems that it could alter the balance of power, so to speak, quite poorly against new players, and this seems to be the laaaaast thing we want to do.

o_O

Ok 1st and foremost... this is Polo's creation that he made. He's not in league with azzer and it's Polo's. If he wants to charge, he can. Period.

2nd anyone willing to pay makes it worth paying for.

I honestly wish the thing wasn't invented or shared. Makes noobi0s think they are geniuses with this game and actually have no skill. they are paying for the extension because they've become dependant on it. it's funny to watch everyone cry when it doesn't work.

me? never seen it. never used it. I still rock out hard on this game. noobs.

basically it's me and 3 other individuals and everyone else is a polo clone. but Polo, the real Polo? he rocks.

i'm not saying Polo doesn't deserve credit or money for his creation. that would be an unforunate misinterpretation of my point. i think that there should simply be a re evaluation of the difference this makes between new players and old.

i know Polo can charge what he wants, i just hope he'll consider gameplay in his costs. Garrett i'm not trying to marginalize the creation he has made, his extension is brilliant, but i think there should be at least some discussion and thought about the effect a 'paid for only' extension will have on this game.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

Since the extension is no longer a free service to the community, but now a purchasable product, I suggest that the nobreakspace link should be removed from the Portal page. Unless of course Polo is paying Azzer an advertising fee.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Polos extension should be banned from use, now when it is not free it simply is same as old every tick updating dumpdata was. It simply gives too much advantage for those who get it, as such it should be removed from use.

I dont give a smeg how much Polo did work to get his extension to work etc. I'm simply talking from game balancing side. If dumpdata was bad enought then Polos extension should be 10 times worse.

Also as personal note, I think it is very very stupid to make money from someone elses creation.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

I dont think polo's extension should be banned in any way...if something was fine before just because some people no longer have it isnt cause for it to become "banned"

(for the record, i dont have polos extension...and havnt donated or any of that shiz)

Augustus

Head Gardener

BlackWolf said:
Also as personal note, I think it is very very stupid to make money from someone elses creation.
so where does Azzer stand then? His business (along with millions of others) revolves around the internet, which afik, is not his creation....

Steve_God

Official Helper

TheNamelessWonder said:
Since the extension is no longer a free service to the community, but now a purchasable product, I suggest that the nobreakspace link should be removed from the Portal page. Unless of course Polo is paying Azzer an advertising fee.
I agree.

If it's no-longer a free application available to all, Azzer shouldn't be promoting it via the main site.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

Elderveld said:
Are u gonna make a 'Google chrome' edition ? :D
It's quite possible once Google release the extension API, so long as the current code will run on Chrome without many alterations. No idea when the API is being released though.
BeakY said:
boooo azzer
the spy scan add-on that the donate version includes no longer works :(
I'm not sure why the Spy Scan doesn't always work at the moment, I'll have a look into it once I update the extension for age 5 (as I don't have an account atm).
Augustus said:
Polo if I can go the rest of the round without any more nobreakspace hiccups I will seriously consider donating to get the extras :D Hopefully that will be a partial incentive to sort it out ;)
Those who have donated shouldn't get any more 'hiccups'. ;)
Garrett said:
polo, i'll pay you to delete the add-on. permanently.
How much? :p
Cyrus said:
correct me if im wrong but i thought the whole thing with extensions and so fourth was that they must be available to everyone?
It is available to everyone. But why should it be anyway?
tyedyegoddess said:
wanted to let you know, in the acreage on the overview, where it has the percentage, the alt over it says that it helps "aparenly" without the t before the ly. Not being picky, just something I picked up on lol
Erm, I think you have someone else's extension installed as mine doesn't say that.
rainbowape said:
Does anyone know polo personally? is he actually ok? I mean it doesnt seem like him to do this without actually mentioning anything. i dont know him but have read most his posts in threads concerning his wonderful tool (ahem, cough, splutter), and think he must be a decent chap, but the thing with only knowing someone virtually (and i bet we have all come across this) is when someone gets ill or has an accident etc. and all we know is that they havent been online for ages. could this lack of clarifcation by Polo be something like that? i hope not. :?
Thanks for the concern, but I'm fine. :p I don't have an account this round so haven't been posting on the forums.
rainbowape said:
I think its a shame the free element has gone out of it, if that is indeed the case. Not that I wouldnt pay, I would've done already but have only just got myself a job after uni ended and there are more important things to pay right now, no p-unit either yet for the first time in many rounds. :shock:

I just think the free element is quite important especially if you are new to the game, you're gonna get pwnd anyways but to be at a greater disadvantage cos you havent paid for something, you know little about or arent sure whether it is worth the money yet, is a shame ...dont even get me started on open-source software :twisted:
If more people, like Twigley, had donated out of kindness I wouldn't have to do this. But considering the money I spend on hosting for the website each year and for the domain name, every little helps. I was tempted not to renew my hosting once it expires in a couple of months but thanks to the donations I've received, I shall.
Dematto said:
there's still a few bugs in the add-on, dunno if Polo will actually ever bother to work on it or fixing it again..

- It doesn't parse paste januari 1 (newyear bug)
- It doesn't know there is no februari 29th
- Stealth defence doesn't show up on the 'allied' list.
The February bug is due to leap years being at strange times (ie. not when Azzer told me they were :p). Will sort this all out once the code is updated for age 5.
Twigley said:
Polo knows.
Polo is a student.
Polo is poor.
People have money.
Polo needs money.
Polo made an add-on for all of us.
Does a bit of money you can get by working less than an hour have huge value?
What he said. <3
Alcibiades said:
i really do think the tool deserves a reevaluation in terms of whether or not it makes a big enough difference amongst the playerbase to justify it being paid for. It seems that it could alter the balance of power, so to speak, quite poorly against new players, and this seems to be the laaaaast thing we want to do.
The donations are required for me to be able to pay for the website hosting for the graphs etc. The extension isn't the only thing I've coded. :p Access to the extension is pretty much a thank you for those who have contributed to keeping the website running.
IceOfFire said:
How much do u have to donate?
£5 is the minimum. But there is no upper limit. ;)
Garrett said:
basically it's me and 3 other individuals and everyone else is a polo clone. but Polo, the real Polo? he rocks.
<3
Steve_God said:
TheNamelessWonder said:
I agree.

If it's no-longer a free application available to all, Azzer shouldn't be promoting it via the main site.
The link on the portal is to "nobreakspace Graphs". Ie. The free tool that is available at http://nobreakspace.com/ that cost me a lot of money to provide for the community.
BlackWolf said:
Polos extension should be banned from use, now when it is not free it simply is same as old every tick updating dumpdata was. It simply gives too much advantage for those who get it, as such it should be removed from use.

I dont give a smeg how much Polo did work to get his extension to work etc. I'm simply talking from game balancing side. If dumpdata was bad enought then Polos extension should be 10 times worse.
So should other private tools be made available to all? I don't think so. It's up to the creator whether or not they release it to the general public.
BlackWolf said:
Lol... I'm not actually making money (due to how much it cost me in the first place). And nobreakspace is my creation, the code was all written by me.

Anyway, thanks for all the donations I've received so far. They're greatly appreciated. :)

Terrakan

Harvester

[ 15:42 ] < Ogluk > Stealth Troop Cost (or max funds): £548,706,447,500
[ 15:42 ] < Ogluk > nice funds im guessing Terrakan
[ 15:42 ] < Ogluk > :p
[ 15:42 ] < Terrakan > its wrong
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > orly?
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > tell that to polo
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > Funds: £433,770,255,662
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > ahh
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > 110bill out
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > and some snipers
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > :p
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > Private [0] Officer [0]
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > Shock Trooper [0] Sniper [0]
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > nope

just thought i would help out polo

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

Terrakan said:
[ 15:42 ] < Ogluk > Stealth Troop Cost (or max funds): £548,706,447,500
[ 15:42 ] < Ogluk > nice funds im guessing Terrakan
[ 15:42 ] < Ogluk > :p
[ 15:42 ] < Terrakan > its wrong
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > orly?
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > tell that to polo
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > Funds: £433,770,255,662
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > ahh
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > 110bill out
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > and some snipers
[ 15:43 ] < Ogluk > :p
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > Private [0] Officer [0]
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > Shock Trooper [0] Sniper [0]
[ 15:43 ] < Terrakan > nope

just thought i would help out polo
Intel/tech score isn't accounted for.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Augustus said:
BlackWolf said:
so where does Azzer stand then? His business (along with millions of others) revolves around the internet, which afik, is not his creation....
That is like worst compare ever.
You are on windows or linux using programs that have been built for such others made system.
Where is the difference?

In that bushtarion is made by Azzer, and firefox is made by Mozilla corporation or something.
It is freaking add on to a small game of someone elses. What I see is that Polo made an addon and tries to get money out of it, just like if you would try to sell new skin to winamp or new background for windows.
No thanks! I dont think he made that much work or put that much effort to this plugin. Like it or not, that is my own opinion.
Same way is my opinion of that if dumpdata was randomized to be 6-12 ticks old due it giving too much power to people who had no tools to use it, should Polos extension be banned.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

BlackWolf does have a point (ODD EH?), not about the comparison with winamp skins but the comparison with the dumpdata files.

The reason for the removal of dumpdata files (or making them basicly useless) is because not everyone had access to the tools which used the information. Now it is basicly the same thing. Not the same, because it IS available to everyone, but you do have to pay for it.

I don't know, I still think Azzer should buy the extension and make it an official thing that can be purchased with credits.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon

I'm fairly sure if Azzer wanted all the futures included in bush he would code them by himself :p
Like he did with hos ?

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

either give it to all or ban it its simple, hypocrisy here right, people are spamming these forums with OMDAAAYZZZ the game is so unfair, but these same people are going, it should stay a paying service. i udnerstand polo's veiw that he cant simple afford to keep his server going or whatever but im sure there are many people who've paid you that have servers they'd lend you.

when will these forums have posters that see things from both sides? coz it doesnt hardly happen anymore

goodluck anyway polo