• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Fantasy: Aliens

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
looking at it 3 years ago and not liking it and still not liking it is hardly a snap judgement oggles. you can board the hate train, but not one person has suggested how to make this better and it's been admitted that this has flaws.

sure I did, I have an entire other topic with 3 pages of discussion for my improved version of CF's route, DA was just a mong and necro'd the wrong thread like a noob

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I don't like this idea. The fantasy route did indeed gain a lot of attention back in round 19 when it was introduced. And then it spent the next 20 rounds being tweaked, buffed, nerfed, changed, bunker bustered, etc. etc. etc. and it still isn't balanced. The game was better without it, and I don't think adding routes purely for the sake of novelty is a good idea at all.

But Garrett, you are acting like a tool. Get over yourself ffs. This is exactly the sort of stuff which got you banned in the first place.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Everything that has just occurred needlessly:

implied-facepalm3.jpg

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
*yawn*

so gg to all. you bothered to hate on me rather than posing ANYTHING new. ANYTHING that would make this thread relevant.

Nah. We've determined that there's a fair few people who think this thread and this idea warrants defending.

So thanks for that.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
*yawn*

so gg to all. you bothered to hate on me rather than posing ANYTHING new. ANYTHING that would make this thread relevant.

Nah. We've determined that there's a fair few people who think this thread and this idea warrants defending.

So thanks for that.

yeah, let's necro all 11 pages of this forum section because one person thinks it's a good idea.

excuse me, 34 pages

Maybe they'll get two more people liking each one afterwards as well

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I don't like this idea. The fantasy route did indeed gain a lot of attention back in round 19 when it was introduced. And then it spent the next 20 rounds being tweaked, buffed, nerfed, changed, bunker bustered, etc. etc. etc. and it still isn't balanced. The game was better without it, and I don't think adding routes purely for the sake of novelty is a good idea at all.

But Garrett, you are acting like a tool. Get over yourself ffs. This is exactly the sort of stuff which got you banned in the first place.

I get where you're coming from - There's clearly a lot of hesitancy around balance. But as Polo pointed out earlier in the thread, we can't speculate in any great amount of detail about imbalance - It makes more sense to get a new route into the game quickly and iron things out when we can see the route and its impact during the round.

Aye there's still an imbalance, and the fantasy routes have never been properly perfected. That said, the game hasn't had anywhere near the attention it should have over the past 3-4 years, things could have long been sorted out.

To address your last point - I don't see the Alien tech-tree as being a "novelty". I think the route has the potential to be one of the most fun if it was properly implemented, and I can see uptake being reasonably high. We're all playing a text based browser game with no graphics. There's bound to be a lot of sci-fi fans amongst us, surely?

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
It makes more sense to get a new route into the game quickly and iron things out when we can see the route and its impact during the round.

I have to disagree. It definitely does not make more sense to add another route, which has to be balanced in relevance to the other 17 branches. It would make more sense to balance the existing ones and then add another one.

I think the route has the potential to be one of the most fun if it was properly implemented, and I can see uptake being reasonably high. We're all playing a text based browser game with no graphics. There's bound to be a lot of sci-fi fans amongst us, surely?

I don't think anyone in their right mind would pick a route just for the name. Noone would suddently start going extremists if we changed the name to 'aliens'.

Elevnos

BANNED
I have to disagree. It definitely does not make more sense to add another route, which has to be balanced in relevance to the other 17 branches. It would make more sense to balance the existing ones and then add another one.

As much as I am interested in a new branch, Dimitar has a very good point here.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would pick a route just for the name. Noone would suddently start going extremists if we changed the name to 'aliens'.

This is also a good point, I think people would play it for their first round, get disappointed, and leave the game if this was the case...

CFalcon

Official Helper

God help me, but I'm quoting Tana:

first of all f0xxito, enjoyment is not logical, it is enjoyment
2ndly, just because you found it difficult to play doesnt mean that it is.
Yes I like vampires, because I like vampires, and zombies and all things undead. I've been a fan of undead powers since the first time I played "Master of Magic" and realised and could create zombie walls around my cities. I was absolutley thrilled when fantasy was introduced, Call me a girl, it's okay, I AM GIRL. Fantasy was the first route that made me interested in learning game mechanics. before that I was your typical female player - "Hey boys I don't know anything but tell me what to do and I'll hang out in your channel".

Like I said. I realise there is nothing that Vamps do that can't be accomplished with another route. Robos for instance kill SA and Thugs equally well, but they are limited in attacks. vampires I find are way more flexible and malleable than the other routes I've played. and more than that 'I LIKE THEM, I ENJOY PLAYING THEM AND MOSTLY THEY KEEP ME INTERESTED FOR A WHOLE ROUND"

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
That doesn't really contradict me.

If you know what I mean.

I jest

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I think the route has the potential to be one of the most fun if it was properly implemented, and I can see uptake being reasonably high. We're all playing a text based browser game with no graphics. There's bound to be a lot of sci-fi fans amongst us, surely?

Dimitar said:

Balancing issues aside (they are just that, issues - They can be ironed out just as issues with existing routes have been) We can't write off at least discussing new routes just because there are currently a few imbalances (and truly, nothing mind-blowing - the game works)

But to pick up on your second point, I disagree entirely. I like the "sound" of having alien-based units. I like the sound of having hundreds of millions of motherships, and my enemies quaking at the thought of them turning up on their doorstep.

Of course names are important. By your argument why not scrap all route/unit names, and just have "Generic Close Range Combatant #2". Because that'd be less fun :p

Elevnos

BANNED
He didn't say to never add them, he said
Dimitar said:
It would make more sense to balance the existing ones and then add another one.

And half of Harriergirl's point was that the route kept her interested, this is not purely because of the names, as she said it was flexible.
I'm not against the idea, but I disagree with irrational thoughts of editing under circumstances where it just isn't currently feasible to do so.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
That's not really the point you made. You said a lot of people would play it purely for the name, and I find that senseless. As far as I know noone goes "AW YEAH, I just bought a cybernetic ****ing t-rex, this game is so amazing". And certainly noone goes "Striker? That name is boring, I ain't buying that crap"

PS: This was aimed at DA.
PPS: People need to stop making posts while I'm typing
PPPS: I say we keep to the suggestions webvictim shortlisted for now. They seem like they're the cream of the crop, and giving it a bit extra attention and thought might result in most/all of them getting implemented

CFalcon

Official Helper
Finally, some people have said the game needs to be balanced before a new route is introduced. This is rubbish. A new route will introduce imbalance and some routes/units may need to be tweaked around it. Thus, it makes sense to implement a new route as soon as it's ready and fix any other imbalances in the game at the same time.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
He didn't say to never add them, he said
Dimitar said:
It would make more sense to balance the existing ones and then add another one.

->

Finally, some people have said the game needs to be balanced before a new route is introduced. This is rubbish. A new route will introduce imbalance and some routes/units may need to be tweaked around it. Thus, it makes sense to implement a new route as soon as it's ready and fix any other imbalances in the game at the same time.

Definitely an argument for this way of thinking. Get everything you want in then balance it after. Don't spend forever balancing things then completely unbalance it and go from square one.

-

Dimi said:
That's not really the point you made. You said a lot of people would play it purely for the name, and I find that senseless. As far as I know noone goes "AW YEAH, I just bought a cybernetic ****ing t-rex, this game is so amazing". And certainly noone goes "Striker? That name is boring, I ain't buying that crap"

Where did I say people would play it purely for the name? I said it was an appeal - if I didn't like the playstyle the new tech-tree encouraged of course I wouldn't want to play Aliens. But if I do, then the name of the route and its units would be a nice little bonus and give me a better sense of involvement in the game.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer

Polo saying it doesn't automagically (tyvm, Davs) make it true. That's just adding another route for the sake of it. If the new route is thought out and tested well enough, there might not be a need for tweaking it.

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
We have giant robotic t-rexes and cybernetic warriors, whats so far-fetched about aliens? :p

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
i don't think the theme is what is in question. sorry if i'm wrong in that.

at any rate, no matter how good the route suggestion is at this point in time... route suggestions (new or old) are premature until other ground work is done in the game.

imo, it'd probably be best to table any route talk til we see what directions are taken with the game. if routes get shaken up (or heaven forbid balanced) then no amount of tweaking of any route suggestion will be applicable to the future.