RIP Steve Jobs

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Say what you will about the man and his products, he changed our world, repeatedly. RIP, you will be missed.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

i dedicated my evening to him!

lillie

Harvester
Sad times to see such a brilliant innovator lose his battle... god bless.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I knew he will ill but was still very surprised by this news - Indeed a great man, 56 is a young age to die - RIP.

CFalcon

Official Helper
I don't mean any disrespect to Mr Jobs, but I'm a little confused by some people's reactions to this along the lines of "he changed the world forever", "greatest genius of our time". I actually saw an interview where someone put him alongside Edison and Einstein. Apple said he had made the world "immeasurably better".

Don't get me wrong, he was an incredibly successful and visionary salesman and everyone around the world knows his products, but he didn't fundamentally change the way we live or our understanding of the universe. I'm not saying you have to do either of those things to deserve to be respected and remembered when you pass away, but some people seem to think he did when he clearly didn't. You know he didn't personally design the mac, ipod, iphone or ipad right, and that even if he had there were PCs, mp3 players, smartphones and tablets before any of them.

Again, not commenting on the man, only commenting on *other* people's reactions.

Last edited:

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Serious question, why is everyone God-worshipping Steve Jobs?

He attached a hard drive to an MP3 player then later on added a phone.

It's not like he cured cancer.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Brilliant man, if you look into his life he did some truly great things. He was not only a brilliant inventor but also from a business point of view he was amazing.

Was genuinely sad to hear the news, RIP

(Also disagree with CF completely and people who don't give him the credit he deserves.)

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I agree 100% with CFalcon

We of course don't mean disrespect, and i agree he was a great entrepreneur and very successful business man, but i think the reaction to his death is a little over the top.

Apple is just one company that makes consumer goods, with more of a focus on 'experience' (from what i understand).

Comparisons to people such as Edison and Einstein are absurd. Maybe if he invented the integrated circuit, the microprocessor, or the personal computer, then that might be worth some of the hype.

He was a very smart businessman with visions. He did not change my world.

Although, of course I am open to opinion, moreso, factual statements that suggest otherwise :)

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
Hmm I agree with CFalcon on some level. But it would be the same if Lord Sugar had died. These people did more than just do their jobs.

Steve Jobs created a mass producing technology company from his back yard and swayed millions of people towards his products. He changed their lives, not yours personally, but that's not what this is about. Has Lord Sugar changed your world? No, but what he's done for others worldwide is sufficient to earn their respect.

I find Steve Jobs' work exceptional. I was looking forward to see what he had lined up in the years to come, but he passed away at such a young age. RIP to the glorious man!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Who is Lord Sugar?

You could say that any developer of anything you have used regularly has changed your life.

Who developed the alarm clock?
What about the microwave?
A fork?

In fact, the iphone isnt the only phone, nor was it the first. The mac is not the only laptop, nor was it the first. etc etc.
If you werent using an iPhone, you would be using another type of phone (OK, so maybe it wouldnt have a million largely pointless apps/games, or three cameras, or be as expensive) but itll still make calls, send texts, set an alarm, organise your calender, take photos, touch screen, all that jazz. And the iphone wasnt the first smartphone either, even to use a touch screen.

Point is, if it wasnt iPhone, it would be something else. Im not saying Apple didnt have an impact on the industry, it most certainly did, but in the end, you're just using a different phone.

(again, im not trying to bash Jobs, I believe he was a very clever and successful businessman/entrepreneur and did have a notable impact on the personal technology indsutry, and i respect that. But he is overhyped.)

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
Who is Lord Sugar?

Alan Sugar. Founder of Amstrad. Used to be the owner of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, runs the TV show 'The Apprentice' in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Sugar

Other than that, I agree that if you don't have an iPhone, it will be another phone and that Tim, however, it is the biggest brand out there to compare your other phones, laptops with.

Are we griping about a dead man here? if so, we should stop :p

Kingdroid

Head Gardener
I don't mean any disrespect to Mr Jobs, but I'm a little confused by some people's reactions to this along the lines of "he changed the world forever", "greatest genius of our time". I actually saw an interview where someone put him alongside Edison and Einstein. Apple said he had made the world "immeasurably better".

Don't get me wrong, he was an incredibly successful and visionary salesman and everyone around the world knows his products, but he didn't fundamentally change the way we live or our understanding of the universe. I'm not saying you have to do either of those things to deserve to be respected and remembered when you pass away, but some people seem to think he did when he clearly didn't. You know he didn't personally design the mac, ipod, iphone or ipad right, and that even if he had there were PCs, mp3 players, smartphones and tablets before any of them.

Again, not commenting on the man, only commenting on *other* people's reactions.

He's similar to them because he plagiarized other people's work and passed it off as his own, lol.

301473_2535697476850_1385980544_329.jpg

297055_10150337334012083_639472082_.jpg

Elevnos

BANNED
Amen to that! When it comes down to it though. He was still a great man! It doesn't matter if somebody else would have done it if he didn't. He took the initiative and decided to, and his imagination has changed the lives of millions. It's not just that he did it. But he did it incredibly well.