iPad / iPad2 / iPhone

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
My contract runs out on my HTC Mozart in a few months and im thinking of going the whole hog with Apple and buying an Ipad and/or an iPhone.

Any of you got or planning to get any of the three? Is the more expensive and more powerful version worth it? IPhone 4S?!

I've read a few reviews but would prefer someones opinion on here.

Someone post a link for the iPhone conference tonight, please.

Also does anyone have a HTC and have ample problems finding any apps compatible? :/

P.s. Im looking at you DA. Mr. Tech.

InSoMnIaC20

Head Gardener
If you have reams of money to put your own ringtones on your phone, go for a high end Apple product.

If you don't, go for the Samsung Galaxy S II. Android platform has surpassed iPhone as it currently stands IMO.

I'm not a fan boy, I have another year of a hate hate relationship with my iPhone to endure.

CFalcon

Official Helper
Depends how serious a user you are. Android has way more options for heavy use and customisation, but if you want something simple where you download a few basic apps and it all just 'works' the iphone might actually be better. The Android App Market is a massive joke next to the Apple App store.

But if you are patient/savvy enough to look around the internet for open source apps and install them yourself, then Android does have infinitely more choice.

With regards to an iPad; I was very sceptical about them at first, couldn't see a justification for their price. But having tried one, they are really quite satisfying. A touchscreen laptop that is truly mobile, as in you can actually wander about with it, not just move from one sitting position to another sitting position.

InSoMnIaC20

Head Gardener
I would defiantly wait and see what is launched tonight by Apple before making your mind up.

CF has such a beautiful way with words. Wish I was as pro at my own language as he is :-/

Shocker2k

Weeder
The "new" iPhone 4S really is not all that impressive with the lineup that will be coming out for Android. The Nexus phone will put the iPhone to shame. Now granted it will be hard to beat the iPhones camera and it does have a very nice display. So if you like to take alot of pictures you may want to lean towards the iPhone.
But in a few months the iPhone 4S will be behind most of the new phones that are released.

iPads have the corner on the market, if I were to get a tablet it is what I would get even though Im not a big lover of Apple products.

Ill be picking up the Nexus phone in Nov when its release so if you dont have a new phone by then Ill let you know what I think. And like what has been said above the Galaxy SII is the best phone out there right now.

Nick

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Ive got a Nokia n900. It runs on Meamo, a linux-based open source OS. So if youre a linux fan it may appeal to you. While im not a fan of linux, i still like the phone.

Its 5MP camera with auto focus is pretty good.
QWERTY keybaord yeah baby!

32GB of storage (internal, can be expanded with mirco SD) and media players with downloadable codecs means you should be able to play most media formats. I love the fact that you can simply copy paste music folders/files into the sounds folder and not have to use iTunes (the only thing i hate about i-products). And making playlists seems fairly straight formward (add to now playing list, save as playlist).

Mulitasking is very easy and works.
Supports Flash.
Easy to use its internet on your laptop using PC Suite mode.
800×480 pixels
All your VIOP/IM (skype, google) contacts merged with your normal contacts making skype/google calls easy.
FM transmitter built in

One downside might be the lack of apps. You have to add some catalogues to get more, but im not sure it has a promising future. It will depend on whether nokia continue to propagate the OS. Although i did here that it is possible (or will be soon) to use android apps via another app. Or something like that. Which would be cool.
Battery life is not that great.

Not trying to say, get this phone, or that it can compete with other phones (some people love it, others dont get it). I'm using it as a basis for presenting features you might want to be looking at :)

bluehen55

Harvester
Not to completely steer the thread away from phones, but do people think the iPad is worth it? Been thinking about getting one for grad school, mainly for reading papers and the like. I may even be able to get my school to pay for it, at which point the price won't really be an issue at all. Is it really the best tablet by that wide of a margin?

Steve_God

Official Helper
I've had the Samsung Galaxy S for nearly a year now and it's been epic!
Admittedly, a few teething problems before a their firmware update to 2.3, but otherwise brilliant!

What I love even more is the customisation of it - I was recently getting a bit bored of the current layout, so I found a rom (MIUI Galnet specifically) and it's epic! makes it look and feel like an iPhone if you want it to, fully customisable lockscreens, layouts, integrated themes, etc...
Given that level of customisation, I'd prefer that over an iPhone anyday.

If you don't want to customise it, want something that 'just works', and you're willing to take the hit on your bank balance, then go for the iPhone, but I personally I don't see the £200 extra it costs compared to a like-for-like Android equivalent, to be worth it enough to get it.
(Just make sure you do get a flagship high-end Android model though, if you get one of the cheaper 'low-end' ones, you'll be disappointed for the same reasons you're disappointed with your HTC Mozart)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Also does anyone have a HTC and have ample problems finding any apps compatible? :/

P.s. Im looking at you DA. Mr. Tech.
Your Mozart runs Windows 7, right?

I have a HTC Desire, its getting on a bit now (due an upgrade in January) It differs from the Mozart though, in that it runs Android rather than your Windows 7.

I've never owned an iphone, nor do I plan to tbh (unless it is clearly the best phone, Apple brand aside) - the iphone, in my mind, is the choice for someone who wants the best phone but isn't bothered about finding out what that actually is. Arguably, that isn't the iphone - and many leading tech websites disagree with this notion that the latest iphone is the default best.

Whenever I upgrade my phone I check the following article on TechRadar, one of the most respected Tech websites on the internet. It has a constantly updated "Best 20 mobile phones in the world".

When I bought my Desire it was ranked 1st, ahead of the iphone at that time. Today the Samsung Galaxy S2 is rank 1, and is therefore worth a closer look at (As has been mentioned previously in this thread :p)

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...e-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=21

By all means, though, check out the review for the iPhone 4s - Potentially it could be taking that number 1 spot, but its going to be pricey!

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...bile-phones/hands-on-iphone-4s-review-1031457

-

Before you jump right at the iphone 4s, if it does indeed take your fancy, you may also want to consider the Nexus Prime - Which is what I'll be taking a good look at when my upgrade comes in.

And whether it'll actually launch under the name Nexus Prime is still debatable, but the signs are all pointing to an October or November launch for the next official Android flagship phone, made by Samsung, running the newest Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android, which may or may not be known as Android 4.0.

Notable:
720p resolution display

Tech specs are all, of course, unconfirmed, but the most recent leak claims it'll arrive powered by a Texas Instruments OMAP processor - which is dual-core - running with a dual core 1.5GHz processor.

Last edited:

InSoMnIaC20

Head Gardener
The Nexus S is a decent phone! I upgraded my partners phone to the Nexus S and I instantly hated my iPhone :p

The Nexus 2 / Prime / what ever can only be a good thing. If you can wait two months ;-)