Battlefield 3 Open Beta

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I am really enjoying it tbh...only played for an hour or so probably but its definitely got me excited for the game even more. Time will tell how popular it is though and whether it'll drag me away from CoD (which i'll be getting regardless)

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
It's a good game but I'm really bad at, hopefully because I just can't get used to it yet. I just don't seem to be able to notice mah enemies... even after they kill me :p

Looks better than the CoD crap though - After CoD4 they made far too big a deal of the killstreak awards and the perks so you barely had any genuine skirmishes.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I also love that map that is up for the beta and apparently thats not even a very big one compared to the other maps that will be out. The way you move through 3 areas is amazing!!!

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
Yet another tedious fps from what I have seen

Have you played? What about it seems tedious? ;)

I watched my son play it on ps3 and you run round shooting people, but tbh the last game like that I liked was Unreal Tournament which i played for a bit and before that there was Duke Nukem 3d so to me they all just are the same game with fancier graphics.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
well always numb i think your missing out. It is alot more tactical now. its not some run and gun fps which to me unreal pretty much was. bullet spread from firing on the move, or holding down the trigger instead of firing bursts. bullet drop with long ditance sniperrifle shots, different classes which without a mix no group can do very well. its alot more tactical. and graphically it is pretty sweet.

any one played the other bf's like bf bad company 2 etc. how does it compare to them online. equally tough? i liked the game bfbc2 but found unless you went smg with a silencer you could never really get much of a streak consistently.

it does look so good but i cant buy it and buy cod mw3. else i wont play either properly. so think ill get cod first unless this beta blows me away

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
After CoD4 they made far too big a deal of the killstreak awards and the perks so you barely had any genuine skirmishes.

I don't want to change to direction of the discussion as it's for Battlefield, but pointing out that Treyarch are the culprits for this more than Infinity Ward. Now that Infinity Ward are doing the next Modern Warfare, we may see better gameplay...I hope!

Carry on with Battlefield discussion :D

timtadams

Landscape Designer
After CoD4 they made far too big a deal of the killstreak awards and the perks so you barely had any genuine skirmishes.

I don't want to change to direction of the discussion as it's for Battlefield, but pointing out that Treyarch are the culprits for this more than Infinity Ward. Now that Infinity Ward are doing the next Modern Warfare, we may see better gameplay...I hope!

Carry on with Battlefield discussion :D

oh no, what have you started?... :p

but MW2 (Infinity Ward) was probably just as bad as BlOps (yeah im calling it that, what of it :p) for killstreaks. Although i never had a problem with kill streaks. In fact, the only kill streak i hated the enemy getting was UAV :p

But if we wanna continue this conversation, we should spilt to a new thread.

I'll be getting both MW3 and BF3 when i finish uni this year.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
I know it's only a beta and all but ... wow was i dissapointed. (Played on the xbox360).

* Laggy servers.
* Long server downtime.
* Errors getting onto the game.
* Errors with getting into games with friends.
* The squad system is terrible.
* Map glitches
-> Getting under the map
-> Getting stuck on walls
-> Being able to see through walls / floors.
* Way too easy to avoid being shot by running, jumping and then going into prone in mid air then repeating over and over.
* Not that much of the environment can be destroyed.
* Bug with reviving people.
* Rare bug where the bomb can't be defused.
* Really annoying pop up after being revived where you have to 'accept the revive'.
* Can't pick some kits up from the floor.
* If you die ontop of a kit then you will have a big "Press X to pick up get" on your screen for a few seconds after respawning.
* The interface of choosing weapons is slow and not as graphicly pleasing as bf bc 2.
* The snipers are meh. Even the bolt action that you unlock is meh.
* The voip ingame is of really bad quality compared to other xbox titles.
* No vehciles on the beta? Something that seperates BF from other titles and they didn't let us experience any.

So far, if you hadn't of played BF BC2 and this was your first battlefield title coming from COD then you wouldn't buy it for sure. Really wanted this to be a massive breakthrough but it's just dissapointment everywhere. A few weeks till release and the amount of, not just small, but HUGE bugs is disturbing.

I am so glad i didn't pre-order it now =.=

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Twigley makes some very valid points - I haven't played the beta for very long but tbh, from what I have, I've been quite disappointed - The map they've chosen is pretty awful, it doesn't seem to get you into any kind of action very quickly.

Also, as Twigley has pointed out, Battlefield's USP as far as FPS games go, is the inclusion of vehicles - The demo features none, which is fairly weird.

Cancelled my BF3 pre-order and pre-ordered COD, though I'll probably still get BF3 at some point.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
agreed with you entirely twigley. on xbox360, I dont have good internet at the best of times, but for the past hour i havent managed one full game. of the 6 ive joined withpout being dropped. im stuck on a loading screen atm.

im still level 1 because half the time people have dropped out from the game im in. i cant plant the bomb with out it thinking im pressing b in and out really quickly. so i cant plant the bomb.

graphically i accepted beta may not be the best representation of the final renders, but it isnt even that good i was expecting graphics to be sexual. They may not have enough servers etc. but this is the biggest dissapointment i have ever experienced in a demo. If i was a big fan of the battle field franchise id be crying myself to sleep. This was just really bad imo. i think they've shot them selves in the foot if they launch in 3 and a bit weeks or w/e.

and the on the move diving and rolling etc. its all just absolutly terrible. terrible to fight terrible to watch terrible to do. atm id rather buy an expansion for bf bc2 than get this.

The bf3 pc demo cant be this bad? else surely id have heard something by now

edit
turns out hereford was just having problems with internet. hopefully connections will be better. the whole clipping and dying from someone out of map is a *****
its better now internet is better. but still not likely ill get it b4 cod. and still hope for a better quality final version than this. which seems unlikely with 3 weeks the product must be finished. maybe this is just the pc beta made playable on xbox, so maybe some kinks have been fixed.

Last edited: