My Fav scifi novels

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
Heres my favourite scifi books I recomend them to any scifi readers, am interested if anyone else read and either likes/dislikes them or has any recomendations of books/authors to look out for in the used book shop.

Peter F Hamilton The Reality Dysfunction, the 1st book in best scifi series ever.
L Ron Hubbard Battlefield Earth, 250k words you either love it or hate it
John Scalzi Old Man's War. genetically modified super soldiers+intestellar war lovely
David Brin The Uplift Saga, you gotta love those dolphins fighting againt impossible odds
E.E Doc Smith Grey Lensman+followups, the father of modern space opera
Frederik Pohl Gateway series, just gets bigger+bigger+bigger

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
Dune was boring but then I read it 25 years ago as a teenager
And paul never said "I shall bend like a reed in the wind"

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I didn't find Dune that great to be honest. There seemed to be a very long, arduous build up to a rapid conclusion. Seemed like a lot of wasted effort.

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
rant sounds good gonna order it from amazon.
As for Assimov I couldnt get into foundation or robot books. But did like "Prelude to foundation" and "Pebble in the sky" is really good. But he was one hell of a visionary.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
They might not be for everyone, but I've always enjoyed the sci-fi books by Iain M Banks. Especially the Culture books.

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
I read Rant thanks for recomendation very funny book :).
Thought i would try enders game again but still dont like it.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
neither of the series that spring off it are really very similar, but if you don't like ender's game I'm not sure I can trust ur taste to like the others.

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
right gonna try to get over my "harry potter syndrome" extreme dislike for books about kids and read more than the 1st 10 pages.

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
yup you was right "Enders game" is actually a very entertaining story and not kidish at all, I should of persevered with it when I borrowed it from the library a few years back. On to "Speaker for the dead" next I guess.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
:)

don't forget to go back and read the Bean series that branches off from Ender's Game it after u read Ender's ****!!

Mattheus

Head Gardener
I used to LOVE reading scifi. For a while it was all I read. Haven't read any in quite a few years now so my memory of most of these books are rather hazy.

I'll second the Asimov recommendation, the Foundation series is what originally got me into scifi books as a kid. They take a bit of persevering at first, but I ended up loving them. Also Arthur C. Clarke is another trusty bet.

Iain M. Banks I find hit or miss. Some I've found awesome, others ehhhh not so much. The one I remember enjoying the most of his was Consider Phlebas.

Few other recommendations off the top of my head:
The Stars my destination - Alfred Bester
The forever war - Joe Haldeman (plus the sequel is pretty good iirc)
Hyperion - Dan Simmons (if you like it there's more in the series)

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
I read forever war a few days ago, 3000 years from start to finish haha.
Hyperion I read but wasnt so keen mostly stuck with it cause I liked the picture on front of the book lol.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Iain M. Banks I find hit or miss. Some I've found awesome, others ehhhh not so much. The one I remember enjoying the most of his was Consider Phlebas.

Agreed. Some of them aren't great. Use of Weapons and The Player of Games are probably my favourites.

TehPantz

Head Gardener
I didn't find Dune that great to be honest. There seemed to be a very long, arduous build up to a rapid conclusion. Seemed like a lot of wasted effort.

Did you read any more in the series? I thought Dune was great, but after finishing up the last book by Herbert, it became my favorite series of all time. The depth of his message really begins to get traction after the first book.