Arsonists

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Far too useful for anti-LET purposes? Just make them NLD/INN/ALL rather than NLD/ALL - Their offensive stats are very similar to a PoM, but with different target priorities.
Merely an idea, I'm wondering if anyone else perhaps shares my 'eh?' moment about these units.

Rowan

Harvester
They do seem to be carving up a surprising amount this round, something I haven't seen in the past. I think the suggestion is a good one, personally.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Arsonists are counterable and don't need a change at all. They fire 30 odd percent on ALL. I know you're not the best player Dax but im sure you can figure out how to make them less effective when against them rather than changing their targetting. Because it's pretty easy to do.

Max

Garden Designer
Erm, when I was targetting the Holy multis of a few rounds ago most of them were arsonist players. And their 30% just fired on my flak before getting killed themselves sooo... I can't understand entirely where you are coming from DaX.

Care to offer us a case study to muse upon?

Davs

Garden Designer
Arsonists, if given the option to fire at mostly LET do very well, but as Max and Twigs have said, they're not exactly hard to flak against as they don't target LET specifically. Also, by fiddling with the targeting as you've said you reduce the amount of arsonists which hit NLDs (if my memory of how the targeting system works is correct) so they'd also be less effective at the main purpose they have - screwing with PoMs.

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
Having played Arsonists a few times, they are in no way overpowered. Like POM incoming, the defenders need to flak their LET with actual flak, and then you'll see the Arsonists dying like flies. They're incredibly weak, and can be killed by any unit that fires on ALL.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Please note, that I'm quite aware of the fact they are easy to flak - Despite Twiglet's clear (and ever-continuing/failing) attempt at trolling. I just thought their primary use was for disabling NLD, so perhaps they should be more geared towards that. They are alot more powerful than I remember them being when I bribed a bunch of them for like 4 days, though. But then I never tested it against too much. Just a passing thought.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Hey i was gonna be nice untill you posted a pointless "snore" comment in the other thread.
I just wanted to be cool like you <3

Arsonists arn't OP and if you're aware of how easy they are to flak then how are they that strong? Like any ALL unit flakking makes them pretty rubbish cost effective wise. The fact they can do *some* disables to let makes a pretty weak subranch actually playable.

Your gripe though, sorry if i offended you x

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Arsonists arn't OP

I actually said they were a bit too useful for anti-LET than perhaps how they were intended. Nothing to do with being overpowered, more just out-stepping their intentions, maybe? Like I said, just a passing thought.

*aren't

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
lol the round willy kept massing arsonists/thiefs/gardies to try and land on cid eta 3 rushing when we were solo was such a pain. They OWN pom/guru 1:1 :p I had to analyze their stats quite in depth so we could make sure we always blocked him.

they're a bit of a random unit though, so the opportunity cost generally isn't all that worth it.

although you posted this in gripes rather than suggestions so im not sure how serious of a suggestion this is.

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
Bring back the old inn arsonists!!!!! I miss the layered flakz :'(

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
they're a bit of a random unit though, so the opportunity cost generally isn't all that worth it.

although you posted this in gripes rather than suggestions so im not sure how serious of a suggestion this is.

It was a mistake on my part, after previously posting in the retarded 'don't play this game' thread.
But if people can throw some ratios in of Arsonists : Pure LET units, then that would be very interesting indeed...

[range] 17,077,044 hostile Arsonist attacked, disabling 10,945,120 allied staff.
[range] 1,603,134 hostile Hooligan attacked, disabling 54,880 allied staff.

Disabled: 11,000,000 [£286,000,000,000] friendlies disabled.

11m PB, very optimistic, but I thought it was worth a try at least. Clearly the Hooligans are required to lessen their effectiveness cost-efficiently.

Max

Garden Designer
As previously mentioned, send 11m PBs with flak and you'd have one dead arsonist on your hands.

Especially as arsonists fire SO early, there is no opportunity for the flak to die / get distracted before they fire.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
As previously mentioned, send 11m PBs with flak and you'd have one dead arsonist on your hands.

Especially as arsonists fire SO early, there is no opportunity for the flak to die / get distracted before they fire.

Oh I totally underestimated their use as an anti-LET. But the point remains, you have to find economical and speedy ALL flak to send along as a PB, and I couldn't send more than 11m PB without triggering. >.<

All the same - More examples of their anti-LET finesse, please!

Max

Garden Designer
I want to know 2 things:

1) Do they actually work effectively at stripping armour for PoMs? E.G. before bikers fire?

2) Are they at all effective at defending against pure lethal rushes? For example SAs, TLs, Marines, that sorta thing.

As DaX said, the more BRs the merrier :p

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
2) Are they at all effective at defending against pure lethal rushes? For example SAs, TLs, Marines, that sorta thing.

This was more my aim, to see how genuinely powerful they are.
As an NLT, they are difficult to target and kill, and when combined with Hooligans, can be a real pain as a rush booster.

EDIT: MOVE TO GENERAL DISCUSSIONS/SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE.

Last edited:

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
But the point remains, you have to find economical and speedy ALL flak to send along as a PB, and I couldn't send more than 11m PB

Huh?
Just send gardeners. That's how you cost effectively beat every unit that fires ALL.
Or am i missing something here? ._.

9m PB and 30m gardeners would have killed 4/5m arsonists per tick.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
But the point remains, you have to find economical and speedy ALL flak to send along as a PB, and I couldn't send more than 11m PB

Huh?
Just send gardeners. That's how you cost effectively beat every unit that fires ALL.
Or am i missing something here? ._.

Oh, yes. You are. Hooligans contribute something toward making killing stuff easier. They are also required to counter Garg defence, which that particular player received quite often.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
So you cant counter arsonists because a solo has defence from a garg player, you're a thug and he has high AR?
Why give this example?
Ofcourse if he gets defence and has ar then you arn't going to kill him.
This is like most other situations.

Also you dont send hools along to kill an arsonist player as 1 v 1 they arnt going to make any difference and 1 v 2 against high AR it's a waste of time.
Also if he is solo and offline and his only defence is gargs then rushing end of tick with pb and flak like i said = free kills.

Edit: Anyway that's how you beat arsonists. Just send gardeners. Don't use hooligans as ALL flak and wonder why it isn't cost effective. Hope it helps.

Last edited: